Trailering 15' bass boat with 2006 Jetta?

MSBruno

Just purchased my first bass boat and I know my truck will be able to tow it very easily being a work truck that tows heavy duty equipment for work, but my question is can my 2006 VW Jetta take the load?

I understand that it won't tow as my truck, but I'm trying to see if it'll be ok if I tow my ~1200lb rig (15' boat, 40HP Johnson + gas). The owners' manual says 1500lbs is max towing capacity. Hitches I've seen for the car are rated to 2000lbs. The 2006 VW Jetta is a manual gearbox TDI, so torque it has, but enough to tow and launch my boat with my front-wheel drive car on good launches?

Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

A friend of mine launches his 2000lbs bowrider with an old ass mini van. lol

I think you should be good. It all depends on the quality of the boat launch.

You might run into difficulty when your launch is very sandy and loose.

Edited by LucG

I guess I'm the only one that see's a problem here, the trailer tongue weight on the back of your Jetta is going to make the front end light... and pulling the boat and trailer out of the water and up the ramp may be disappointing for you.

I personally am not a big fan of towing with small vehicles, it puts a lot of wear and tear on them and I really don't like the safety factor for emergency/panic stops.... factor in wet pavement and you're really asking for trouble!!!

Use your truck... that's what it was made for!!!

The car definetely has the power to do it. Being manual it will take on the hills with ease. You will definetely have problems at the launch though. You will be losing traction in the front from all the weight being loaded on the back like GCD mentioned above, and you will put alot of strain on your clutch. If it helps things my dad owned a 2004 jetta tdi wagon and I actually asked the dealer mechanic if I could get away with towing a boat (1000lbs) with the car and he recommended that I don't do it, although he said it could do it. Welcome to the world of boating and spending never endless money :thumbsup_anim:

Oh my... it's finally happened, I find myself agreeing with GDC! Next thing yah know, dogs and cats will be living together in harmony, world peace is just around the corner and the Stay Puffed Marshmellow Man is knocking at my door!

On topic, as mentioned, it will probably pull it, but I'd be puckered in the lower unit should I have to stop it quickly!

I guess it all really comes down to how much risk your willing to take on. Myself, no fish is worth the lives of my family or friends or heck, the other people on the road. You'll do the right thing, you just need some encouragement!

HH

isn't launching it more of weight distribution and tongue weight capacity issues?

The tongue weight your car can handle but its the tongue pushing down the rear end and lifting the front that is taking away from your traction. Wish I could show you a picture of my 92 jetta towing my boat. It would be considered a comedy show to watch me pull the boat out :lol:. Good luck on a wet ramp is all I have to say. Its like being at a drag strip and warming up the tires before you make a run. Hey Unclebuck do your small little arms hurt still from pushing down on the front end so it gets traction?

OMG!

I bet that worked really well.....I mean if it can't hold a ATV it would definitely crumple when you flipped!

solid pic...did you take that? or google it?

Its been going around the net for a while now...I'm pretty sure is legit...

I used to tow my 15ft Legend with a 25 4 stroke with my 2002 TDI Jetta. It pulled it no prb and brasking was not an issue. Most smaller boats

are light in the front anyway. I would recommend you lighten up the front and put any heavy stuff in the back seat of the car instead of the trunk.