Algonquin Park - This weekend

Stoty

Hey everyone,

I just did some (very) last minute scrambling to book a campsite from Saturday - Tuesday on Ryan Lake in Algonquin Park!

Just curious if anyone has been to Ryan Lake recently?

It's just NE of the Shall Lake Access Point #17.

I'd like to know what species are in there?

I've heard Bass and Splake but since its connected to Booth, Crotch Lake, etc I am wondering if there are Pike in there too?

Thanks for any info on the lake!

*Stoty

Hey Stoty,

I'm actually camping at crotch lake this weekend as well, maybe I'll see you there.

I can't really tell you anything you don't already know. According to the map on algonquinmap.com, it just shows Splake in Ryan Lake. Crotch Lake, Farm Lake, and Shall Lake all supposedly hold pike though.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I camped at Booth's Lake last year, and we got some nice Pike out of there (12-15lbs).

I am assuming that Ryan has them in it to, considering it's joined directly to them.

If you want Pike, bring the biggest spoons you have! They were hammering gold spoons last year right off islands that drop directly down to about 40-60 fow.

They all seemed to be hanging out in the 20-25 ft range.

Drop the spoons directly down, and RIP them up a few feet, and let flutter.

Watch your line on the way down for sudden movements or stops, then HANG ON!

absolutely no pike in Ryan L, and i'd say with about 90% certainty no bass. Ryan isn't attached to booth at all. any inflows/outflows shown on the FOA map are very subtle, possibly flooded land but no real flow at all. i was there last october and pulled out a few splake in the 1-2lb range. they're in there, just gotta be patient.

neighbouring shirley has nice lakers in it.

shall/crotch/booth have pike and smallies for sure, booth has its fair share of lakers too and the odd brookie in the area.

shall lake is like one giant swamp IMO, especially near the hydro lines. nice campsite right there just before you enter that area where the hydro lines are. lots of jumpers in the evenings around there.

ahh i wouldn't be so doubtful... i had my sonar on me and the deepest i marked was 30-35ft. easily reachable by jigs, 3-way swivel setups, maybe bottom bouncers.

i was told by the local outfitter to try the "pool" as you first enter the lake... lots of wooded habitat for the splake to hide in.

try at night too around the island campsite. they were particularly active then from shore (in october, but ya never know how your luck might fare).

i caught lakers and large perch out of shirley, didn't have any luck with bass. the flow from shirley into crotch/shall is strong enough that pike haven't yet invaded as far as i have heard. it's such a beautiful lake, i'd hate to have the pike up in there... i didn't hit any bass when i fished it, and that was during the first week of June (OOS if i did catch one but you know how it is... usually you end up picking one up at that time of year by accident).

30-35 ft isnt too bad at all.

I guess the waters have warmed up like they should there either.

The fishing has been a little weird this season because of the lower temps.

I guess that's in the favour of trout though, haha.

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated.