Port Maitland / Dunville / Byng (1 LAST QUESTION!)

rbaquial

Hey Folks,

Every year my family goes camping out to the Dunville area... and as with every year, I take along my fishing gear... problem is, I'm never too sure on what to bring. So, this time I'm requesting aid of all/most of the OFC'ers on the board to assist a fella angler....Here is my question....

- I'm planning on going fishing @ the Port Maitland Pier; What can I expect to catch?

- What's abundant in species out in that area?

- Are there any bass out by the Pier?

- What "tools" would you advise I bring?

Anyway, those questions are about all I could think of right now, I'm sure there are more - I just can't seem to think of any after a serious Brain Fart! hahaha.... Anyway, Just wanted to say THANKS in advance to all that reply to this thread...

Thanks!

RoB

Edited by A2F

Smallmouth bass, perch, sheephead, carp and you never know what else can be caught there.

For the most part, your best call is dunking live minnows or worms out there.

It's over-said ... but talk to Steve at Fishmaster's in Dunnville. He will tell you exactly how to catch 'em.

He has moved further down has a marina now further down Main St.. Just keep going all the way through town there is a little road on the right (he has a sign out) that takes you to his marina/shop.

Actually, there's pretty good fishing out front of his marina off the rocks.

At Dunnville try casting jigs with mister twisters off the rocks at each end of the dam. But there are lots of snags.

At Maitland try minnows under a slip bobber. You can buy them at Fishmasters. Great big minnows if you can. Hook them in the tail so they can swim around. When you bobber goes under count to a slow 5 before setting the hook.

Trying different depths. You can even try these off the shore at Bing.

Good luck.

Hey folks,

ONE LAST QUESTION.... What kind of species are known to be caught around the PORT MAITLAND PIER this time of year? Just trying to get an idea so I know what gear to bring...

Thanks!

The regulars are the sheepies and cats, but there are always other surprises. Just be prepared, if going to the pier on the weekend, expect to see 2-300 people crowding the shore and the pier. You gotta be there early to get a shore spot.

The pier is very busy, but if you've got some time one evening that may be a good time to try with minnows. Another option for rigging is to use a large sinker, then a small split shot about 2-3 feet from the hook. With the split shot the large sinker won't get to the hook and will give the minnow a few feet to swim around near the bottom.