Smallies

dada2727

I'm fishing some lake up by haliburton this weekend have located some nice largemouth, but I wanted to take a stab at some smallies. Just curious on how deep you get them in those lakes up there? I've caught a few just chucking a spinnerbait at shore, but I'm thinking those pigs are on bottom a litter deeper. Would draggin a tube in 30 FOW this time of year be unheard of?

i seen a fishing show they were draggin a tube in about 30 f.o.w. and had some great success and it was about this time of year.... but anyhow just find the good structure, rock piles etc. and smallies LOVE crayfish.

good luck out there!

If you have a fish finder, check the water temp.... if it's around 70C like it was on the lake we were yesterday, you will not find them tight on shore like they usually do... if it's above that then tight on shore is where you will find them.

I would locate underwater structure such as drop offs, humps and stumps and work them hard ;) Oh and don't forget the weed flats.

Leechman

Of all the Smallmouth Bass that I've ever caught, most have been in shallow water.. 3-10'... i've also caught some jigging between 10-20', but not as many..

By the way, has anyone mentioned how great Smallmouth are to catch.. they fight like crazy for their size!

ya i think im gunna go fish the st. mary's in the next couple of days, (just around the locks though from one of the piers) and see if i cant catch any, looks like some great structure in the water rocks everywhere, drop offs and weeds. oh and i'll be tube jigging..... im gunna give a twister tail a try too, does anyone know how good those are for smallies????

ya i think im gunna go fish the st. mary's in the next couple of days, (just around the locks though from one of the piers) and see if i cant catch any, looks like some great structure in the water rocks everywhere, drop offs and weeds. oh and i'll be tube jigging..... im gunna give a twister tail a try too, does anyone know how good those are for smallies????

grubs (twister tails) is one of the all time most successful smallie lures ever. Tube jig is a must but I rely on drop shotting more these days.

grubs (twister tails) is one of the all time most successful smallie lures ever. Tube jig is a must but I rely on drop shotting more these days.

you know what, i've never tried drop shotting but i've seen on t.v. it has great results, i got all the stuff, maybe i'll give that a go. one thing though, can you cast out and slowly retrieve or have ur line in one spot?

you know what, i've never tried drop shotting but i've seen on t.v. it has great results, i got all the stuff, maybe i'll give that a go. one thing though, can you cast out and slowly retrieve or have ur line in one spot?

I cast out but not huge casts. I bring it about a foot at a time, stop, shake the line a bit, reel another foot and so on. When you feel a bite, reel down and set the hook hard.

I cast out but not huge casts. I bring it about a foot at a time, stop, shake the line a bit, reel another foot and so on. When you feel a bite, reel down and set the hook hard.

thanks for the info. i have another question too, what type of plastics do you use when drop shotting?

thanks for the info. i have another question too, what type of plastics do you use when drop shotting?

I am pretty stuck on 4 things although there are many others.

Gulp alive leech 3"

Gulp alive leech 5"

Gulp alive minnow 3"

Strike zone slammers

One of my favourite smallie lakes is a small lake (square km or two at best) that has very steep shorelines and depths of 100'. One of the best tactics I've used in there is getting my tube jig down to the 40 FOW mark...last year we pulled two 20"+ fish out within 5 mins of each other dragging bottom, while our partners in the other boat were getting small stuff using crankbaits in the 10-15' range.

OF course every lake is different...so mix it up on the depths...I'm just sayin' don't be afraid to go deep. A guy I know with the MNR just netted a smallmouth on Lake Rosseau in 187 FOW this past week :o