sault ste. marie locks? (ontario)

redneck666

Hello, i just moved to sault ste. marie and i was wondering who knows about fishing around the locks, i've been there salmon fishing in the rapids with spoons and whitefish fishing off of the pier by the steel plant for whitefish and steelhead. I want to know what other fish i could catch around there and how to catch them.

Thanks.

haha so i heard about the walleye in the river.... my fathers friend from work says he catches them around the locks along with bass and pike. i'd just like to know what he uses.... worm harnesses etc.? i just know i love to jig.... even though i've never really caught a fish jigging but thats probably because i just started practising it a few weeks ago... i got it down for whitefish :D

xraps and husky jerks and jigs with mr.twisters for pike, walleye,etc. for salmon and rainbows little cleos, other spoons and blue fox or other spinners. lots of good places you just gotta do some exploring and playing around, there is alot of fish in there.

ya i have to admit i've been living here for about a year now i left the city when i was about 3. my best fishing experiance was last year out at obatanga park and in burnfield and cotton lake. in burnfield i spent 3 days fishing there with catching nothing but nice pike and the day before we left i nailed a nice 20" walleye. funny thing is there were americans in the lot beside us and they just caught lots of pike :D

Are you in a boat or shore fishing? Its a whole different ball game if your in a boat. How have you been doing for whities? I have been pounding them the last 2 weeks but since the insane shad fly hatch a few days a go they shut off for me. Got a nice atlantic yesterday off the peir(superiour side) but no whities in an hour and a half so I packed it in. If you have a boat get out there and flat line crankbaits, or streamers and even throw a flutter spoon down a few feet on a rigger if you have them. Atlantics crush these..........

TDunn

Are you in a boat or shore fishing? Its a whole different ball game if your in a boat. How have you been doing for whities? I have been pounding them the last 2 weeks but since the insane shad fly hatch a few days a go they shut off for me.

ya i went about friday or saturday in the morning around 10:00 and stayed to about 2:30 and not a bite i was using a yellow teardrop and tried to tip it with all sorts of stuff.... even alive.... haha tried to tip it with a single egg too....... but anyhow when i was there only 2 different guys caught 1 whitefish each... about a week back i got a really nice whitie about 4 lbs and im not sure if it was a steelhead or atlantic, pink.... i dont know but i caught one of those too and it was about 5.5 lbs all on my yellow teardrop not tipped at all. oh and i shore fish, got a boat last year and havent had the chance to put it in the water... yet...... but it'll get there.

Edited by bigredneck

yes hopefully, i find it extremely frustrating when i cant catch anything unless im deep in the bush.

The yanks I go there with like Pike fishing and we have been doing ok with them the last few years. I'll be hunting eyes as well though.

Stupid fishing calender says its a crappy time though

I need to get a nice feed of whitefish in me.

I'm gonna get to Big Basswood that week and give em a try there. I really want to land some of the big ones

I need to get a nice feed of whitefish in me.

oh man if u were at my house earlier i coulda' gave you some damn tastey whitefish, i had one left but my mistake i packaged 2 fillets together and i couldn't eat the second one, so i threw it out.... kinda pained me to do so but any i just did them in flour (with pepper), dipped it in egg and then into italian bread crumbs with romano cheese and various spices and fried up in a cast iron pan with canola oil and butter. it was soooooo good! and by the way im pretty sure the whities around the locks are still a little slow.

Edited by bigredneck