Planer Boards ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I want to try St. Clair for some muskies. I only have a small 14' boat and I was wondering if it would be possible to add some rod holders and troll for musky..... or if I need to get the lures away from the boat with planer boards ???

Has any one ever made your own planers ? if so, could you post some pics ???

Thanks !

I don't fish for muskie myself, but I know from reading that they will strike your lures right in the prop wash and that sometimes that seems to be the best way to trigger them. You'll want that corroborated by one of the muskie fishermen here before you take that to the bank, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

Guest gbfisher

you dont need any boards to fish musky,,,,,unless you have more than two guys in your boat.

Just get yerself some Salties and go nuts like the rest!!!!

I've never used planer boards for musky. Typically it is my wife and I, and with one rod per person, we both troll right off the back of the boat. One of us may be a little farther out than the other, but neither of us is out more than say 30 feet.

while boards are the best you can get away with options. with a smaller boat try salties. mount 4 on the boat. . 2 salties midship. use 10ft rods and run baits 100 ft back. the other salties mount on transom. run short rods with a 1lb ball and 10-15ft. that way trolling you will avoid tangles.. once again try running shallow running baits and dictate the depth according to lead weights. muskies dont see down.

Tyler the musky here on LSC love boards they can be great as we dont have alot of tight turns to make like lakes with alot of good rocks and weeds to troll around this way you can get a good spread on your lures.You don't have to have a mast either as I just ran for the first two season of musky fishing with one board off my bow and it would only run good for about 50-75' away from the boat but that did the trick alot

It depends on the day for musky some days the boards are on fire and others they are not most of the musky we had on or got to the boat were on boards this year as in years past I will swear by boards for this time of year on LSC if you are out by your self you can still run the boards just put one board off the same side as you other line I usually like the back left corner that way I can watch both rods as I am driving the boat.

I also made one of my own I found the instruction on the net here is the link these run nice also.

http://www.quintefishing.com/make_your_own...aner_boards.htm

Ask anyone who fishes LSC regularly they will tell you the same thing as I have not found people who dont like boards down here.

I am not saying you can not run boat rods I will go out and do that also if its to choppy I will just run two rods from the boat or 4 rods from the boat if I have more people but to get started you should look at the rods and reels you are using then got and get some Down Easter S-10 salty rod holders these things are great for musky fishing.

Tyler we will get you out there some time

Tyler the musky here on LSC love boards they can be great as we dont have alot of tight turns to make like lakes with alot of good rocks and weeds to troll around this way you can get a good spread on your lures.You don't have to have a mast either as I just ran for the first two season of musky fishing with one board off my bow and it would only run good for about 50-75' away from the boat but that did the trick alot

It depends on the day for musky some days the boards are on fire and others they are not most of the musky we had on or got to the boat were on boards this year as in years past I will swear by boards for this time of year on LSC if you are out by your self you can still run the boards just put one board off the same side as you other line I usually like the back left corner that way I can watch both rods as I am driving the boat.

I also made one of my own I found the instruction on the net here is the link these run nice also.

http://www.quintefishing.com/make_your_own...aner_boards.htm

Ask anyone who fishes LSC regularly they will tell you the same thing as I have not found people who dont like boards down here.

I am not saying you can not run boat rods I will go out and do that also if its to choppy I will just run two rods from the boat or 4 rods from the boat if I have more people but to get started you should look at the rods and reels you are using then got and get some Down Easter S-10 salty rod holders these things are great for musky fishing.

Tyler we will get you out there some time

I was waiting for you to chime in Mike ! hahah

Looking forward to gettin out with a master like yourself... but the day will come when I need to do it alone right, so I better get prepared haha

I know when I went out last year we used boards.... but we were also running like 8 rods.... (charter)

Im going to look into the salties like everyone mention.... now I will get together with Grandpa and see about throwin together some boards ! !!

Thansk for all the input guys ! Really helpful !

I wish I was a master maybe in another 25 years or so I will be a mid master but master level would take about 50 years of hunting these fish. Heck every time I go out I dont know what it will bring a master should be getting the big girls every trip.

The boards are easy to make and I know your Gramps will do a fine job on them.

I don't have data to back it up but just guessing, I would have to say that in my time fishing LSC boards have taken 2 fish (at least) for every 1 at boat side.

I don't think it's because these fish are skiddish; you're just covering more water and putting the odds in your favour.

I say mount the rod holders and forget the planer boards. Since your in a 14 footer I don't think you'll be heading out with 4 people in the boat right? Planer boards are nice when you have a bunch of rods out and want to spread them out or when fish are easily spooked my the boat (which muskies are most often not). Like mentioned above, run at least one line in the prop wash, I often get hits on that line.

Have a good one