Planning a trip to Nova Scotia

Kenny G

My wife/kids and I are starting to plan our 2010 holiday already.

I thought a great idea would be to drive to Nova Scotia and rent acottage for a week.

What I am looking for is advice on a nice cottage (self sufficient) on the beach?

Looking to spend upwards of 1200-1400/wk.

Also would you recommend driving through Quebec or the U.S.?

Our dream place will have 2bdrms,bbq,deck,jacuzzi or soaker tub and beachfront.

Preferrably a sandy beach with some rocks for exploring the tidal pools.Holiday in Nova Scotia

Thank you :D

Kenny G.

You will love the trip. When we drove 3 years ago we went through Quebec, then through New Brunswick. Ended up camping there for the weekend then continued to Nova Scotia.

I believe they took the 401 then the Trans Canada highway. It was a lovely drive and heck I even caught my first saltwater fish, a small mackerel here are some pictures from our trip dude.

Border

ScreenHunter_56Apr021203.jpg

Completely alone

ScreenHunter_86Apr021211.jpg

Fishing a crisp clean river

ScreenHunter_112Apr021217.jpg

And here is 1 of 4 mackerel I caught on a silver spoon, hey if you want to pack a small spinning rod and reel you will be fine. I caught them in Cape Breton along the highway/causeway.

ScreenHunter_115Apr021218.jpg

Enjoy your trip...don't worry it will be here soon enough!

MTBF

I went to N.S years ago. (twice). Our 1st trip was through Quebec and into NB, and then the ferry from Saint John(s?) to Digby. Not much to see as far as I was concerned. The 2nd time we went via USA into Vermont, New Hampshire. So much more scenic that way. If you go that way you should check out Mt. Washington NH. (highest point on eastern seaboard) I would check out a little town in NS called Alma. Nice little scenic town on the coast. Anywhere around Lunenburg is nice too. With our dollar as high as it is with the US dollar I would go US all the way again. The Cabot Trail is another good trip to do if you have the time.

JTF

My wife/kids and I are starting to plan our 2010 holiday already.

I thought a great idea would be to drive to Nova Scotia and rent acottage for a week.

I think you'll love Nova Scotia. Your "dream cottage" may be hard to achieve, but you've got lots of time to research. Get in touch with N.S. tourism - you can get a lot of info sent to you and you can also find a lot on line.

I planned pretty well our entire trip on line, including booking whale-watching south of Digby. We did the hotel, motel, bed-and-breakfast thing for two weeks, so I can`t say much about cottage rental. But a friend of mine has been renting a cottage at Inverness (Cape Breton I.) for years and loves it there.

I think this is where he goes...

http://www.macleods.com/beachvillage.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews...HECK_RATES_CONT

We found that when travelling from North Bay it took us a full day`s drive (Ottawa - Montreal - Autoroute past Quebec City) to get to Edmundston, NB. From there we drove to Saint John and took the ferry across to Digby NS, but if you go the land route to NS, the second day should put you well into almost any part of the province as well. There are resources where you can check travel times.

If the sand beaches are the prioity the beaches along the Northunberland strait are your best bet, but farther removed from the biggest points of interest. There are some nice beaches along the southwest shore, but weather can play the devil there. The plus is your proximity to some of the most beautiful and interesting places in the province. Best way to enjoy the province is to pick 2 home bases for you adventure and go discovering from there. Roselawn cottages in the town of Wolfeville is a nice spot to tour the Fundy shore from. There are a few cottages and motels just outside Lunenberg, name escapes me after some 10 years back, on the shore that were nice.

By the way, smallmouth fish is a blast on the inland lakes.

Thanks folks for all the input.

I already have started researching the cottages online and have found some real beauties.

I will definitely be bringing my fishing pole.

I can't wait for fresh lobster and seafood as well.

Cheers,

Kenny G.

Thanks folks for all the input.

I already have started researching the cottages online and have found some real beauties.

I will definitely be bringing my fishing pole.

I can't wait for fresh lobster and seafood as well.

Cheers,

Kenny G.

If you can wait a couple of weeks my sone is leaving shortly for a cottage holiday at the top of the Bay of Fundy. He'll be back in about 2 weeks and perhaps he'll have some info for you.

As for time, as Jocko said it's a hard day's push to get to Edmundston NB in a day from Stratford but then a pretty easy drive from there so if you don't want to blow yer brains out driving you might want to figure on at least a two day trip. I'd be tempted to go via the American side on the way out and Canada-side coming home. Personally I'd do some sight-seeing on the way out and drive up the coast from around Boston, hit LL Bean at Freeport and check out Bah Hahbah and some of the other ocean towns along the way. There used to be a ferry running out of some port along there that might be worth investigating too.

JF

Do not make the return trip through the US. Customs will play the devil with you with all your souvenirs and swag when entering the states and then re-entering Canada.

Looking for lobster? Don't go to Hall's harbour. Tourist trap. If you want fresh seafood to cook for yourself go to a small port like Parker's Cove. The small seafood plants have a small store you can buy from. There you might actually see the boats bring in their catch that day. It's as rustic as a fishing village gets.

Many many many years ago when I was a young lad.

I traveled with my parents up the east coast of the States.

Great trip, really liked Cape Cod and Maine.

I am not going until next summer John.

Thanks. :)

Kenny G.

For you fellas down in Southern Ontario it really makes sense, especially if you want to get to NB/NS quick and not do much tourist stuff along the way, to go through the US and use those great Interstates to eat up the miles - Albany - Boston - Portland, etc. But geography means that either way - northern or southern - isn't really "direct line".

On a trip to Victoria a couple of years ago we went through the States to get there and through the States to get back home (you can't beat Interstates for long-distance driving). We had no trouble at all with customs on any of our four border crossings. Make sure you keep all your receipts for souvenirs in case they want to check.

Jocko,

When my wife and I moved to Vancouver for a change we also went via the States.

I knew it it would shave at least a day and a half off.

To top it off the scenery was fantastic!

Nothing wrong with the all-you-can buffets as well. :D

The only thing I missed was the drive through the Canadian Rockies.

Good pics Mike.

Thanks,

Kenny G.

To top it off the scenery was fantastic!

We LOVED Montana. Everything else was good too but that was our favourite state.

On the way out it was more-or-less a "straight trip". We took 10 days to come back and saw some pretty great sights - Yellowstone, Little Bighorn, the Black Hills, Rushmore, etc. Thoroughly enjoyable. And effortless driving on the Interstates. The Americans know how to do up a highway system!

We'd seen the Canadian Rockies a few times, so it was OK to miss them. The American Rockies were not nearly as impressive, but still nice.

The Devils tower in Wyoming was a must see for me being a fan of "Close Encounters".

Unfortunately it was totally fogged in.

Yellowstone was incredible as well as the "Badlands".

Mt. Rushmore was awesome also. B)

Almost forgot Mammoth springs in the top corner of Wyoming.

Excellent adventure! :D

Kenny G.

The Devils tower in Wyoming was a must see for me being a fan of "Close Encounters".

Yes, we saw the Devil's Tower too, unfortunately at close to dusk and the entrance was already locked up, but we got close enough anyway to that very strange formation. We saw dozens of white-tail in the forests of that area, and hundreds of pronghorn in the sagebrush.

devilstower.jpg

The Badlands too, yes, awesome to drive through. Like a different world when you're down in the valley. Makes for a pretty arid picnic spot though... :) ...

badlands.jpg

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your topic... just brings back some good memories!

Back to Nova Scotia, though, KennyG.

If you haven't been, there's so much good to see in the province but the most impressive, we found, was the drive around Cape Breton Island on the Cabot Trail. Never have I seen vistas of water and shoreline from so many good vantage points. There's also Louisbourg (very impressive, even though they've reconstructed only select parts of the fortress and the town), the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck, whale-watching from Cheticamp, Scottish music and festivals, and lots of places where you can get at the shore and fish if you've a mind to and have the time.

Hold on to your steering wheel if you happen to pass by a roadside fried-chicken restaurant in the Sydney area called "Lick-a-Chick" ! :P

Edited by Jocko

If you want nice beach and warmer water I suggest trying to rent a cottage around Buctouche in New Brunswick. You wont get the trout fishing without driving inland, but the beaches and water are much nicer than NS IMHO

A few things I remember from various trips to the Maritimes.

-had a horrible time finding bridge/tunnel to continue on highway 20 east through Montreal. Have your head in the game at this point, if driving the Quebec route.

-Levi was much easier to exit for gas and fast food than Quebec City. See what kind of contest Irving gas is running for the summer (if any) and get the appropriate 'cards' needed. You'll be seeing lost of Irvings on your trip.

-St. Pierre Port Joli, east of Quebec city was a nice place to stop. The whole town is filled with wood carvers and their shops line the streets. Fairly inexpensive motels.

-in N.B. nice scenary along highway 1 as it follows the St. John river valley. If N.S. is your first priority, check the map for the Carleton highway across N.B. as it cuts off having to go south to Fredericton. Taking the trans-Canada through Fredericton and then north allows a visit to the Magnetic Hill not far from Moncton.

-Lots of good places mentioned above, but would not miss the Maritime Museum in Lunenburg for a sense of the seafaring history. At the time I was there, there was also 'The Dory Shop' by the waterfront where dories were still being built.

-the McLobster sandwiches sold only for a certain time at McDonalds are really good and worth the money. If you happen by some chance to be on the highway between St. John and St. Andrews, perhaps to cross into the US, keep an eye out for the lobster rolls at Ollies.

-had a horrible time finding bridge/tunnel to continue on highway 20 east through Montreal. Have your head in the game at this point, if driving the Quebec route.

Check. The route through Montreal is a little difficult.

-St. Pierre Port Joli, east of Quebec city was a nice place to stop. The whole town is filled with wood carvers and their shops line the streets. Fairly inexpensive motels.

Check. Nice place. We stayed there overnight on our return trip to Ontario.

-in N.B. nice scenary along highway 1 as it follows the St. John river valley.

Check. A very nice drive. Scenic. Longest covered bridge is just off the highway (Hartland, I think). We were fascinated by the barns half-buried in hillsides.

-Lots of good places mentioned above, but would not miss the Maritime Museum in Lunenburg for a sense of the seafaring history.

Regretably a place we missed. Heard a lot of good things about it, though, and it's definitely on our list for our next trip.

-the McLobster sandwiches sold only for a certain time at McDonalds are really good and worth the money.

Check. At the time we were there they advertised them as "lobster rolls". Pretty decent!

A couple of other tips -

Lawrencetown beach, a little north on the coast from Halifax/Dartmouth is fabulous! Miles of sand and smooth stones, sand dunes, wonderful swimming. Lots of round, flat "pancake" rocks for collecting. Local artists use them for painting on stone.

If you like pioneer villages, the one in Sherbrooke is one of the best.

Expect to have to make some effort to stay on the out-of-the-way highways near the coast if you want to see water (Cabot Trail is the exception). A lot of the highway travel is out of sight of the ocean, even if you try to stay close.

Bring a picnic basket and/or a cooler. There are a number of places where you can have a great seaside picnic. One of our favourite spots - go south along the coastal highway from Peggy's Cove - not far, you can see the lighthouse across the bay - and you'll find a widening of the shoulder where people park, and a trail leading off to the seashore. An easy, clean walk five-minute walk through brush and HUGE boulders (erratics) will bring you to some very scenic spots where you can picnic on the rocks at the shore. No tables, just use the rocks! Peggy's Cove itself is very crowded, but you can have this scenic area almost to yourself!

Edited by Jocko

A few things I remember from various trips to the Maritimes.

-Levi was much easier to exit for gas and fast food than Quebec City. See what kind of contest Irving gas is running for the summer (if any) and get the appropriate 'cards' needed. You'll be seeing lost of Irvings on your trip.

-in N.B. nice scenary along highway 1 as it follows the St. John river valley. If N.S. is your first priority, check the map for the Carleton highway across N.B. as it cuts off having to go south to Fredericton. Taking the trans-Canada through Fredericton and then north allows a visit to the Magnetic Hill not far from Moncton.

-Lots of good places mentioned above, but would not miss the Maritime Museum in Lunenburg for a sense of the seafaring history. At the time I was there, there was also 'The Dory Shop' by the waterfront where dories were still being built.

-the McLobster sandwiches sold only for a certain time at McDonalds are really good and worth the money. If you happen by some chance to be on the highway between St. John and St. Andrews, perhaps to cross into the US, keep an eye out for the lobster rolls at Ollies.

The Dory shop in Shelburne has been running since 1880 and still works with the original tools. Wifey bought a lobster trap there and I almost convinced her to let me order a custom built dory. I came sooo close.

If you time it right you can be in Lunenberg for the festival and the international dorymen races.

Dartmouth and Halifax have a great festival on the civic long weekend. Fireworks over the harbour. The canoe and rowing competitions at Banook lake, etc..

Get a taste of rustic N.S. living at Jeddore, Oyster Pond. My uncle had a house there in the 60's before it became a heritage site.

Edited by bigugli

The Dory shop in Shelburne has been running since 1880 and still works with the original tools. Wifey bought a lobster trap there and I almost convinced her to let me order a custom built dory. I came sooo close.

A romantic thought, but really high maintenance. Brought a 13 footer back from Newfoundland to Ontario. (had Nfld. license plates and towing this thing got some strange looks on the 401) Every year new cement had to be put in the bottom cracks and the boat had to be 'soaked' so that the seams would draw up tight. One really hot summer, the water I put in it evaporated before I could get it in the lake and she split right up.