Finally some musky fishing

Was out early this weekend in the rain and wind. Conditions were brutal, it was cold, windy and rain. Felt like early fall, so we did some trolling in a bit deeper waters because there was no way we could stand in waves on the casting deck and operate the electric (yeah I know, sounds like a lazy excuse to troll).

I wasn't too confident with the deeper pass, but... it only took 5 minutes for me to change my mind. My reel started buzzing, left the motor in gear and picked it up. It felt decent and I could feel the weight of the fish and was ready to crank it in so I put the motor in neutral. It was not the greatest of acrobatics and the fish was in the net fast.

But once in the net... HELLOOOO!!! The fish would not sit still for a second, it was impossible to get the hooks out, then like magic... Hooks came out by themselves in the net.

loic_musky02.jpg

During the "photo shoot" the fish was still full of energy, I have several bloody scratches left on my hands to show for it, but the release was great, kicked out of my hands immediately and swam deep in a flash.

Not sure about the rest of you, but so far, most of our fish have had a very decent girth for this time of year.

WOW! Change your title on this post. It should read something like "I just caught a huge Musky and pooped myself because it was so big" That is what I would have titled it. I almost didn't look at this thread because I didn't think yo caught a fish.

That is nice and big. Congrats.

If I ever catch a musky that big I will poop myself I am sure. Well hopefully soimeday I do (not poop myself, but catch a beauty like that)

That there is a great fish, Loic! Would you mind sharing what you were pulling to fool her? Thanks for showing us your catch. She looks like a St-Louis resident. Congrats to you!

ps. Not that many saltwater Mercs around these parts....how is it running?

Seems like all the musky I have come across this year have been extra fat and girthy this year too. I am also finding most of my fish suspended and cruzing breaklines.. almost as if the fish think its fall already.

Beauty fish BTW.... what lake?

ps. Not that many saltwater Mercs around these parts....how is it running?

Motor runs like a bomb actually. never a hick up on startup even in freezing cold november. boat tops out at 56mph with less than half a tank of gas on flat pancake water, but it's loud. :-)

It's my buddies boat, which he lets me drive for the trolling as I know how to run the spots properly, but it's tough with a big boat and steering wheel, his 9.9 is not enough for a heavy boat, it doesn't have the juice to accelerate in turns properly.