Any campers out there?

Hey guys, gals...

I'll try to make this as brief as I can...

Being only 30 with a young family, with the wife on maternity leave, yada yada, I really don't have the coin to go out and buy a cottage...just way too expensive. that said, we are interested in buying an RV in a permanent spot in a park on a lake within 3 hours of our house in Grimsby (near Hamilton). That gives us a radius that includes the Muskokas, L.Simcoe, L and U Buckhorn, Stony, Rice, and Scugog. We are both teachers so with summers off we would get a lot of use out of it.

Is there anyone out there that can offer suggestions for us? We have never owned an RV in a trailer park, and there are just so many parks out there to chose from. Surely we can't drive all over ontario looking for just the right park! Keep in mind we have a five month old (so must at least be somewhat child friendly) and we have a dog - well behaved, but not all parks allow pets. Finally, I have a small fishing boat, so I would need dockspace.

If you can offer any input, I would be most appreciative.

cheers,

mike

There's a lot of private campgrounds out there, I've attached one link, you can search by region by clicking on the map areas. Some will also have good used trailers and or RVs right on site. I just typed in "private campgronds ontario" in Yahoo search. Those listings will give you all the amenities available at each campground. http://www.campgrounds.org/Home.aspx?PageI...enu-menuItem000

Edited by Fisherman

If i were you and I had a tent and basic camping gear I would book dates this month and do some camping trips at some camp grounds first. walk the little roads and say hi to people and get a first hand feel for the park.

For 6 or 7 years my family and I were camping all across Ontario, we then upgraded to a pop up trailer(22ft opened) and found a amazing place that was the closest to out home in Oshawa. No more than 1h30mins away. We went there on the weekends throughout the summer for a year, then the 2nd year we had a 2 week trip there, now we left our trailer there.

Very nice place with great people there, people that see you fishing on the dock and just say, "do u wanna go out in the boat"...no ID needed or passport just a simple hey come out with me, parents are invited to other peoples trailers to play cards and chat.

It's the road to finding a nice place with a first hand experience that makes all the difference. Sometimes a good price on a trailer might just be the wrong price to take.

Regards and good luck with your search,

MTBF

BAILEY'S BAY RESORT

peterborough

wadding pool-regular pool-salt water pool ( adults only)-and a hot tub(adults only) 19 and over

on chemong lake

dock available

LOTS of events every weekend , we just had holloween this past weekend and the kids fishing derby the weekend before that.

http://www.parkbridge.ca/crv/kawarthas/BB_facilities.html

Dude that is not camping.

My wife and I had a good laugh from that one! :lol:

Camping to us was always tenting and almost always lake-access (travelling on the water to get to a camping spot).

Later we did get a nice pop-up hardtop trailer, but only had it for a few years. We found that finding nice camping spots that you could drive to was VERY difficult, for the kind of camping experience we had in mind anyway.

BAILEY'S BAY RESORT

peterborough

wadding pool-regular pool-salt water pool ( adults only)-and a hot tub(adults only) 19 and over

on chemong lake

dock available

LOTS of events every weekend , we just had holloween this past weekend and the kids fishing derby the weekend before that.

http://www.parkbridge.ca/crv/kawarthas/BB_facilities.html

Parkbridge owns a number of parks in the Kawarthas, including: Baileys Bay (Chemong), Grandview (Upper Buckhorn), Melody Bay (Upper Buckhorn), Pioneer (Upper Buckhorn), Skyline (Chemong), Beaver Narrows (Pigeon River), Lonesome Pine (Pigeon), Goreskis (Scugog), Shady Acres (Rice), the list goes on... Most of the nicer parks up here are now owned by them. Grandview is right around the corner from me and is a beautiful park as far as trailer parks go. They also own The Quarry Golf Club (very nice, new course) near the causeway in Ennismore, I imagine campers in their parks get a discount on golf.

Thanks for the feedback thus far! I really appreciate it!

Does longpoint have a marina right there? I've not been. And not sure how my little 14' would hold up to a big lake...???

It has a few marinas and the majority of trailers are right at the Marina with a dock.

This is where we are:

Nestle In

Located between Lindsay and Bobcaygeon on country road 36. Very clean well run gated park. It's off of Sturgeon Lake on Emily Creek which isn't the best as far as waterfront goes as it is quite swampy there. There are docks and a marked channel to the lake which is ideal for small boats. My 19' Legend doesn't fit under the bridge so I keep it right on the lake at a marina. There's also a heated pool as well as a kiddy wading pool and lots of summer activities for the kids.

Cheers,

Peter

Just sold sold my trailer at Goreski`s after 7 seven years of rough camping in a park model. LOL!

The Parkbridge parks are nice but they are expensive, I thought our park after Parkbridge purchased it lost it`s family feel it was much better when the Goreski family owned it.

With Parkbridge owning the park I always had that feeling in the back of my mind that they could come in and pull another Melody Bay and screw everybody.

I would get a copy of the private camp ground guide or Google it and see what you can find, I would think there should be some nice camp grounds around Lake Erie that is alot closer than driving to the Kawartha`s save gas $$$.