Looking for smallies...

Hey guys, gals.

It's been a while since my last post. My wife and I had our first son not so long ago, and fishing has had to be on the backburner. Now that the little future fisherman is doing well, and giving us enough sleep at night, I am ready to get back into some fish!

My cousin and I are going in the morning...after some smallies. I am from Grimsby, so I do have several options including the Grand (either out of Caledonia, Cayuga, or Dunnville (hmm...some pickerel sounds nice now that I think about it!). I suppose Bayfront Park in Hamilton off of Pier 4 would be okay too, and there is also Fifty Point only a few minutes from my house. SO many choices!

My experience is really only in Stony, Sturgeon and Rice Lakes, so the above places are really new to me. I'm not looking for handouts here, just some direction. Which of the above would you be most apt to try? We're going pretty early in the morning (5:30ish). We do keep a small fishing boat, but it is out of commission.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help you can give!

cheers,

Mike

Edited by michaelkovacs

ive fished fifty point this year, and valens, and binbrook. cant say i tried to hard as i usually fish in bigger water out of the boat. just remember at 530 you'll be looking at a locked gate at most conservation areas! all these stocked reservoirs are not so full of fish ofany size, seems to be lots of little guys. seems to be a lot of guys with a worm and a hook catching sunfish-type thingies. as always after 5 minutes i say where is my boat! Hamilton harbour has bigger fish than the reservoirs, binbrook is full of crappy. dunville dam always has lots of guys fishing there. caledonia dam has lots of guys, and there is a dam in brantford called wilkes that has 1.5 lb bass whose mouths look like harmonicas! check the treads for deer creek and consider renting a small boat there. get your little boat going and fish grand river shorelines above and below the dam in dunville, or troll for walleye below the dam. i see lots of little boats perch fishing in dover and maitland. let me know how it turns out, im always looking for local spots to fish with the boat, there are lots but im just starting to figure them out.