BENT PROP..update...going fishing on sunday!!!

workwear

hooked up with jose this morn and we went out to his fav lake....well what a day we had....landed well over 20 green trout....then it happened....bang....my first encounter with a rock.....wasnt goin too fast maybe round 4mph.....well as soon as i got home and had a good cry....i took the stainless prop off......oh oh ....i bent the prop shaft......off bout a 16th none the less undrivable.....

was wondering if it is only the drive shaft....what would one cost .....i have a 200hp yami

cheers pete

Edited by workwear

Exactly the reason why you shouldn't use SS props- an aluminum one would have bent the prop and maybe not the shaft. But if hole shot and top end are important.....

Exactly, that's why all us shield lake guys use aluminum.

Cheaper to fix or replace a prop than a lower unit.

quick update .....goin fishing on sunday again!!!!!!

brought it discount marine on keele.....and well after we took it all apart ...all that was bent was the shaft....parts cost 300.00 for the shaft.....and 3 hrs labour....should be ready by thursday.....phoned a few places to compare prices and i was told for a simple shaft it was gonna cost me anywhere between 1200.00 and 1800.00

wow some places really do try to make a buck!!!

thxs sal at discount marine.....

cheers

oh im putting my aluminum back on ....lets see the difference.....

Good to hear you are getting it fixed at a reasonable price. I always make my self feel better by saying it could have been worse.

This past Spring Sal helped me out too. I had the motor on my boat re-built last spring at Discount Marine and at the beginning of this year, one of the pistons was causing the boat to stall at top end. Without hesitation Sal agreed to fix the problem - no charge even though my warranty had certainly expired on the rebuild. Considering I used the boat all of last year without any problem, I was at least expecting to pay something. Goes to show, he is really a good guy not out to fleece anybody.

Say hi to Sal for me when you pick it up - and let him know his consideration and reasonable prices are appreciated.

Frank (with the 40 HP Merc/16 foot Starcraft)

Edited by fisher