Rice Lake July 25th/2009

diggyj

A nice Friday evening Sunset.

76494916.jpg

By diggyj, shot with DSC-W5 at 2009-07-25

Decided to get out on Saturday morning to do some fishing, weather permitting. Started casting off my dock at around 6:30am and I was throwing a Top Water lure. Decided to go with a Rapala Skitter Pop SP07 in the Silver colour. Casted for about an hour with no luck. I usually have some success with this lure but action was dead.

Headed out in the boat to work a nice stretch of shoreline west of Margaret Island. I was hoping for 2 purposes, the first was to give the new trolling motor a nice workout and the second was catch some fish.

This is the stretch of shore I was working.

61471766.jpg

It was an ideal morning, sun was cresting the shoreline above me and some of the water was in the sun while some was in the shade. I was casting a Rapala J07 in the Silver Fluorescent Chartreuse Colour towards the shore. The new Motor Guide works like a charm.

30031022.jpg

After about 10 minutes I land my first fish of the day, a Smallie just over 2 lbs. After working this stretch for about an hour and a half, I landed a total of 6 fish. 1 Rockbass, 4 Largies and 1 Smallmouth. This shoreline is a transition from weed to rocks. I was fishing in 5-8 FOW.

73067663.jpg

While this may have been good for some people, I was disappointed as they were all just in the 2 Lb range and I also lost 2 much larger fish and was getting lots of action on the Jointed Rapala.

One of the Largies I landed was quite small, 3 inch range, so it was from a spawner a few years ago. Shows there are young fish growing, good for the lakes future

Was swapping fish from the livewell as I could only keep 2 with the Conservation license.

Headed in for about an hour to have something to eat then came back out.

Started working deeper water, 10-15 feet, with a HJ10 Firetiger and caught another small Largie in 12 FOW. Action slowed down so I threw a spinner bait as well as some tubes and senkos. Action seemed to come to a screeching halt.

Fished until about 1:30pm. Headed in and called it a day.

All in all, not a bad day, but at the same time, not a great day. Fishing was slow as the weather and winds kept changing.

Fished a total of 6 hours and manged a total of 7 fish. If I was in a tournament I would have had a 5 fish limit with a weight of probably around 11-12 lbs.

11466660.jpg

Got in the car and headed home. Rain started at about 4:30pm and then on the 401, the skies just opened up all the way home.

22923586.jpg

Dirk

A conservation licence....A CONSERVATION LICENCE!!?

How does a guy with a cottage on the lake with more fish per acre than any other lake in Ontario survive on a conservation licence?

Glad the new motor works well.

Hey Diggs, have you tried the hollow body swim baits? I tried them at Cameron and immediately thought that they would be good for Rice (when rigged weedless).

Jim

Looks like a fun day of fish catchin'! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

How do y'all Canadians stay so white???

Its the lack of sun. I try and tan but has been so crappy all year. I'll have to come south for some sun and real fish...

A conservation licence....A CONSERVATION LICENCE!!?

How does a guy with a cottage on the lake with more fish per acre than any other lake in Ontario survive on a conservation licence?

Glad the new motor works well.

Hey Diggs, have you tried the hollow body swim baits? I tried them at Cameron and immediately thought that they would be good for Rice (when rigged weedless).

Jim

I only keep a couple of fish here and there for shore lunch so it works for me. Yes motor is working great, definately putting more fish in the boat, but right now they are of the small variety.

I have tried the Berkley Hollow Belly Swimbaits. Colours, Hitch and Tennessee Shad. I haven't had any success with them yet though. I did however catch a couple with the Berkley Hollow Belly Split Tail in the Arkansas Shiner colour. I can't seem to find them up here in the Firetiger colour though. I think that colour would be great on Rice.

Dirk.....