Grand Bend

steelee

Heading to Grand Bend long weekend. My wifes uncle wants me to take him fishing, since i have never been to that area i have no idea where to begin and its probably too early for any salmon to be in any river. any input would be appreciated.

I've been to Pinery Provincial Park 2 weeks ago and fished the Old Ausable Channel. We caught a variety of sunfish, hundreds probably on worms and small spinners. :) Some nice-sized sunfish may I add. We also caught lots of small perch (a few medium-sized ones), bass and catfish. Since we spent a lot of time at the channel, we could see large mouth bass pass by, and some very nice samples: over 3 pounds. However, they were I guess too experienced and would not bite any of our spinnerbaits. We also saw a pike in front of us in the shallow, but would not bite. The biggest thing for me was seeing a large bowfin right in front of me - never saw that fish before, especially not that close. We fished from the shore almost every day for 7 days. I think we 'overfished' since now I do not even want to go fishing anymore. You just have to be patient and you'll catch fish. The 1st day we did not catch much except small sunfish, but then we changed our hooks (to smaller ones) and bait/lures and tried different spots from the shore and caught some nice-sized sunfish as well as other species. If you have a boat, I guess you would do even better. We were with a dog and did not have our own boat. Placing the dog in a canoe just would not work very well. ;)