Looking for a new(to me) ride

Pike_Nut71

In my opinion they all make great trucks. Every one of them will have their problems. This debate has been going on since the first one was ever built.

After spending two years looking at every truck and suv on the market I ended up in a Honda Ridgeline. In the end with all the features It actually ended up being cheaper than the other guys. I am now on my second one (leased not broken).

Look for the features that YOU want. What works for YOU. You're going to get a ton of opinions and get blood boiling over nothing. Get the truck that works for YOU!

Ford F-150 is a good truck....plus I think they have employee pricing right now which casn save you several thousands of dollars overall. My personal choice would be the Toyota Tundra our family has been a Toyota family for a long time and we have never been let down with the quality and reliability ofthe vehicle..plus the resale value is good. Plus the autos we have purchased were all made in Canada which is a bonus.

FORD

Is there any other REAL TRUCK!!! City and construction company's use Ford trucks because there TUFF.

The only Real bad Ford problem I had was there extended Warranty. Some parts are not covered. Just happened with me: Air Bag Sensor: $94.00 for diagnostic, $80.00 part, $95.00 labor. Plus $100.00 deductible. Part is behind front grill, plug and play 5 min. job.

Here's the kicker, I paid $2700.00 for the extended warranty 4 years or 80,000 km.

To me. should be a safety issue.

Toyota trucks nice they last if you don't load them up. A friend had one up north. Loaded it up with stove wood and bent the frame. Another friend a work had a small Toyota truck, he had it for years, couldn't kill it. I think it was a 4 cylinder.

Edited by Fish Farmer

We have about 15 full size pick ups in regular service at work. All between 2002-2008 and we just sold about 6 other 1999-2001 trucks. Most are big gas engines, but the newest ones are diesel Fords. I can tell you that we haven't had any problems with either brand. Only truck to need anything other than regular service was a 2000 Chevy Silverado, which had a bad tranny.

Personally, I like the Chevys better for style and comfort, but that has nothing to do with quality. I'm not attached to any auto maker. My personal truck is a Ford and my previous vehicle was a Chev. From my point of view, which I think in this case is more than just opinion, you can't go wrong with either brand.Find the best deal and buy it.

Should Mention I have 6 trucks in my fleet. 3 GMC's, 2 fords and 1 dodge. 2 GMC's have been great with over 200k on each, one had a couple minor problems and has 170k on it. both Fords are in the shop once a month and have been horrible since we got them. One has 250k and one has 115k. The dodge has had a couple minor problems but has been pretty good.

For comfort and ride quality the sierras have been the best for us.

FORD

Is there any other REAL TRUCK!!! City and construction company's use Ford trucks because there TUFF.

I beg to differ..... I believe they use them because in a business world... you want to save $$$ where ever you can.... and with a ford you can do that ! There work trucks are cheaper then competition... thus getting the business !

Our company uses all Chevy trucks.... we do alot of driving.... The 4.8L V8 can handle the high KMS

toyota...better engineering and much better resale value than the big 3. cheaper in the long run to spend a little more when you purchase ;)

i dont think i will ever buy ANY vehicle made by the big 3 and their unions...

Edited by ch312

you shouldn't be allowed to post such volatile topics. i was going to stop reading if i read something like 'real man's truck'. we had a silverado go 600k towing boat trailers for our trailer business. i've had a pile of sierras i liked the style and they took everything i thru at them. had some mechanical and service issues with the newer ones. in a doublcab tacoma right now probably wont go back - starting to see hydro, rail and landscapers go with tundras...

im not a huge dodge fan either, no reason really, i think they are big for the sake of being big. fords and shevys are priced right these days, if you're leasing who cares what you buy you give it back in three years anyway, good luck!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

there's a lot of gorgeous trucks out there. we have newer model ford, gm, dodge on the work fleet, and given the choice i'd take the silverado's any day over the others.

ford has the best selling truck for 32 years because chevy splits their brands

ford sells around 600,000

chevy sells around 550,000

gm sells around 550,000

ford ends up finishing #1 year after year even though chevrolet sold almost twice as many trucks, a common misconception among ford guys that say ford is best selling truck. you can look it up, the numbers might not be bang on but the principle is there.

and yes ive been at work all night and have nothing else to do right now

Edited by smally21

ford has the best selling truck for 32 years because chevy splits their brands

ford sells around 600,000

chevy sells around 550,000

gm sells around 550,000

ford ends up finishing #1 year after year even though chevrolet sold almost twice as many trucks, a common misconception among ford guys that say ford is best selling truck. you can look it up, the numbers might not be bang on but the principle is there.

and yes ive been at work all night and have nothing else to do right now

lol so true.

nobody a nissan truck fan? I was thinking about going with nissan truck next one, iam not too sure on what to get, all i know is i've had my silverado since new and havent being more upset with a purchase, almost everything has went wrong with my lemon, paid 47000 new and now cant sell it for 7500? Better off to invest my 47000 in to property this time around at least the rec. property I could have bought for 50 grand wouldnt have depreciated as much as this wasted of money truck. Oh not to mention the gas price! I have a hard time putting up 300 bucks for a trip to the cottage every long week-end,imagine gas went up to 125 liter again,then ill have to pay 450 bucks for round trip to camp?

Back to chev I really do love the comfort ( i call it the leather couch on wheels) great for the long trips and also the push button all wheel drive or 4x4 feature, I also like ford superduty trucks but dont like to get out in a snow storm with pliers to lock the front hub thats a downside to me. :dunno:

The rail roads get there trucks for almost free.

It's has some thing to do with lowering transportation fees,

Hydro will buy, who ever gives them the lowest price, as for most

company that buy fleet. It has nothing to do with the quality of the truck.

I will never buy a half-ton again, nor a gas burner.I find that a half-ton is no longer

built for the life of construction work.It's more a car with a very large trunk.

Who has the best reliability.Well most of that come down to your maintenance program

and the person behind the wheel.

FORD

The only Real bad Ford problem I had was there extended Warranty.

Toyota trucks nice they last if you don't load them up. A friend had one up north. Loaded it up with stove wood and bent the frame. Another friend a work had a small Toyota truck, he had it for years, couldn't kill it. I think it was a 4 cylinder.

Warranty issues is just on of the reasons I gave up with Ford and GM.....I don't feel I should have to FIGHT with the manufacture to have them stand behind their product......they more or less stand to the side of their vehicles (in case the brakes fail again). :D

After 32 years of purchasing nothing but new Ford and GM trucks I finally switched to a '07 Toyota TUNDRA.....this is one SOLID highly refined Truck......it's never been back to the dealer......don't even remember where the hell the dealership is......and you mention hauling wood.......here is just one of MANY loads it handles every fall without even noticing the load.

Firewood005.jpg

What ever you do don't be brand loyal....buy what fits your needs......do your research....use the internet to bargain down the price.....have them bid on your purchase even before you step into a dealership....it worked for me and can work for you.

Have fun truck hunting and good luck with your purchase,

Bob