Dollaram Rulez Edited with date

Cudz

Maybe TJ or Spiel can stick this one instead of the other.

****I looked at the forecast for Aug. 1. It looks really nice. What sdo you guys think of that?

There are a bunch of you from the south and southwest who expressed interest. I was wondering if it would be better to have several same day tournamments. One in the Niagara/Hamilton area, one in Toronto or Kawarthas and one in Barrie. If you can't make it to any of those you can just fish and post your pics and results with $ama stuff. Chime in and let me know at which location you would paticipate*******

OK, this idea has a bit more interest than I first anticipated. I would love to have a on day g2g with the OFC members somewhere not too far from Toronto. I am not sure who is actually on board with this. I would say run the g2g out of Innisfil or Barrie or Oro but again I don't know who has boats, how far you can go etc.

If you don't come to the g2g you can still participate at different locations throughout Ontario.

Here are some of the rules I have come up with so far.

1. There is a $10 limit (actually $11.30 with tax) on your complete fishing package.

2. All items, including line, terminal tackle, rods and reels and lures must be bought from Dollarama or another dollar store (for those without Dollaramas nearby)

3. You may not use any other items from your tackle box that are not from dollarama

- no scents

- no live bait

- no swivels/leaders (unless you bought them at dollarama)

4. You may use food items as lures as long as they were bought at dollarama.

5. If you already have dollarama lures, they count toward your $10 worth of lures.

6. The use of downriggers and planer boards IS ALLOWED

7. All fish caught should have a picture taken with lure in mouth(if possible) and rod and reel in hand. Pic beside measuring tape would also be recommended

There are probably lots of other rules that I should mention but I need help.

The reel is a pretty crappy right hand retrieve only spinning reel. It already has line (just not too much). The rod is a telescopic 6' I believe. There is also a bamboo rod that comes with line and a hook and small split shot and a float (all for $1).

After you purchase the $4 rod and reel that leaves you with $6 for lures. There are cranks, poppers, jerkbaits, spinners, spoons, jigs, hooks leaders and much more.

Let me know who could make a g2g around barrie on a Sat and which Sat would be best.

Who is in?

Edited by Cudz

:)

yup--am definitely on board if you will have me--what a way kool concept--Brilliant as the British say!

your logistics look sound CUDZ

tonne of FUN to be had here dude

if you need some support to pull it off feel free to PM me

ID1

Not a pro,

How can rule #6 apply if it's not purchased through $AMA??

Otherwise, looks good (considering the time of my post :rolleyes: )

Keep it honest,

Bring it on CHEAP ARS$SS!!!!!!!

:lol:

Just a suggestion, why not try to contact the powers that be at Dollarama and maybe OFC or they can generate some publicity? I'm sure that if this works out it could be a great stunt for either or both. Perhaps this could be a real plus for Dollarama having their tackle featured in a "derby", especially if some decent fish are caught. Maybe some good will come out of it, I mean other than some fun for those who partake.

I agree with the comment regarding #6.

Edited by pikehunter

I think we got to keep in mind this will be a dollorama event so basics should apply..

I wouldn't get to hell bent on rules...Keeping it simple is the key to such an event. Even picking a well stocked pond or reservoir where anybody can do well as the next guy would be a good basic idea. Perhaps allowing other simple measures like If you want to fish out of a boat it must be a dingy or something under 12 feet,simple,basic...

Just a thought...

If you travel to Barrie, your looking at Lake Simcoe...Big and Deep...If it's a windy weekend it will be tough on people with small boats.

On the other hand if you travel the same distance to the Kawarthas, you have more lakes to choose from, plus the water is safer for small boats. There are also plenty of boat rentals available.

I'd like to suggest the tournament be held in the village of Buckhorn. There are two lakes right there, Upper Buckhorn is to the west and Lower Buckhorn to the east, one is shallow and weedy, the other is deeper and rocky. Both are well marked and safe.

There are plenty of Bass and panfish and as a wild card, there are Musky...grin.

Not a pro,

How can rule #6 apply if it's not purchased through $AMA??

Otherwise, looks good (considering the time of my post :rolleyes: )

Rule #6 is good because if people don't have boats and we use planer boards to troll we can get more people to fish out of one boat. I can troll 4 people at once. I was thingking of trolling because I don't think the reels will cast very well at all. I also want to see someone catch a salmon/trout on the gear. I see the riggers/boards as more of a tool, like a boat.

If you travel to Barrie, your looking at Lake Simcoe...Big and Deep...If it's a windy weekend it will be tough on people with small boats.

On the other hand if you travel the same distance to the Kawarthas, you have more lakes to choose from, plus the water is safer for small boats. There are also plenty of boat rentals available.

I'd like to suggest the tournament be held in the village of Buckhorn. There are two lakes right there, Upper Buckhorn is to the west and Lower Buckhorn to the east, one is shallow and weedy, the other is deeper and rocky. Both are well marked and safe.

There are plenty of Bass and panfish and as a wild card, there are Musky...grin.

Well, I have fished Simcoe for many years and yes, wind can be a problem BUT, If we fish K bay there is no real issue. If the wind is N, NW, W, S, SE, or SW there is no issue. Kbay only gets rough if it is an East wind which is the least common wind. If the wind is N, you fish the north shore and it will be calm. If there is a S wind you fish the South shore, you get the idea.

Kbay is full of perch, rock bass, there are some places that hold smallies and there are pike, lakers and whitefish.

Im in... one comment, who wins??. are we going with total inches of any species, best fish overall, total wieght. If its a weekend thing I think best three fish in inches...???

Im in... one comment, who wins??. are we going with total inches of any species, best fish overall, total wieght. If its a weekend thing I think best three fish in inches...???

I like best 3 fish in inches.

Got to find some pike.

When we used to host the kids fishing derby in our trailer park, we used the total of your 3 longest fish, but in centimeters! Makes for bigger numbers! LOL

The kids all fished in the same boat canal from shore docks and they caught on pretty quick that perch were better than sunfish or rockbass because of their lengths, and well...a PIKE, even a "snotrocket", would put the kid over the top! Usually 3 decent 8" perch would outdo the small pike unless they had a "kicker" fish to go with the pike.

It was lot's of fun and we kept all fish in a Rubbermaid bin until the tourney was over. then all fish that were not too badly hooked, would get dumped back in.

I'd like to give this Dollarama tourney a go once we finalize the date, location, and time.

If you don't come to the g2g you can still participate at different locations throughout Ontario.

Enter by posting here on the board? Maybe all entries should be made here on the board so all of us can see!

Of course categories for the fish, but also I'd put in some additional categories --- maybe :

• the best story about $ama tackle in action
  • the most imaginative terminal rig made out of $ama components
  • the best entry photo

...stuff like that. :)

I think we got to keep in mind this will be a dollorama event so basics should apply..

I wouldn't get to hell bent on rules...Keeping it simple is the key to such an event. Even picking a well stocked pond or reservoir where anybody can do well as the next guy would be a good basic idea. Perhaps allowing other simple measures like If you want to fish out of a boat it must be a dingy or something under 12 feet,simple,basic...

Just a thought...

I second that one Chris...

I just got back from dollarama in Sturgeon, I hope we can do it this weekend.. maybe have a dry run even... They had Bamboo rods at my Dollarama!! I even bumped into Jocko there!!

I just got back from dollarama in Sturgeon, I hope we can do it this weekend.. maybe have a dry run even... They had Bamboo rods at my Dollarama!! I even bumped into Jocko there!!

A dry run this weekend would be a great idea for those who can. Let's see how it works before we do an official dollarama g2g. Fish wherever you are and lets see how it works.