Trying to get a derby togther

ramgirl

Hey boys! I just joined this board moments ago!

I was hoping I could get a little help with something. I am curently working with an agency who help people back into the workforce. I am going to be doing fundraising events for this agency and wanted to do a fishing derby type thing. I figure incorporate bussiness with pleasure!

Now I have no experience with puting something like this togther and was hoping you guys would be able to give me some tips if possible or direct me to people who would be able to give me some tips and information on how to go about this. I tried to google this but didn;t get to much luck with information...

I would greatly appareciate any tip and info that comes my way :)

Thank you so much!

Alright first I do need to introduce myself, I was so rude in forgetting that part :P

My name is Kayla and I am from the Niagara Region. I've been really into fishing for a few years now, love Pike fishing esspecially. I came accross this board last night and everyone here seems very helpful and mature, unlike the other fishing boards I am part of...

Now I am doing this al from scratch and I am thinking it will be shore fishing. Also I was thinking this could be done in teams of 2, $15 a team, men and women. I also wanted to have something for kids to but have a prize for all of them for coming out kind of thing and maybe $5 a kid. 12 and under I was thinking? Now for prizes I am hoping I can wheel and deal and get everything donated as I want all money coming from this going right to the programs that are part of the agency I work with. So prizes I am unsure but I am hoping big. I am not sure about where this will take place but in the Niagara Region for sure as the agency is located within this area.

I think what I would need the most info and tips for is maybe picking what body of water cause I want it kid friendly as well.

Any type of help is greatly appreciated. Like I said I want time to plan this so I am thinking this won't hapen until next June-ish. This gives me time to get everything togther while still attending school. Plus I would like as much input from the community as possible as this is for who it's for.

Thank you very much guys!!

not to be a wet blanket

but

the community, has held more then it's fair share of fund raisers

for the mentally challenged

life threatening medical conditions

for someone who's house burnt down

and others

there are so many people asking for our charity dollars, that one must pick and choose the best or most important to them needy cause...

I really don't know how much support you will get....IMHO.....

but that being said

you need to find a location and date to hold it, you need to know what can be caught in that location at that time of year

you need to make sure there is no other events on the same date that will take people away form you event...

you make sure there is access and parking and a place to take a pee

then you start finding prizes, hit the tackle store or better yet find people who have a connection to the tackle stores

find a food company that will give you the food or a great deal on it.....

if you can get a local fishing club or other type of club helping you are ahead of the game

and that is just to get the ball rolling

Thanks very much Terry...

But I did not come no here asking for money by any means, the only reason I posted what I think I might charge is because someone asked in a previous post about some info of what I was thinking. My original post was asking for tips and information about getting something like this togther, which you also added and I greatly appreciate this. I would not come on here asking people for their charity dollars when I don;t have this even put togteher yet... as I said I have only asked for tips and information.

So far this board has been great for what I have asked for, esspecially being a new member, and once again I am very greatful for this.

I know this board has helpd alot with various charities which is why I felt confident asking for some help on where to get started....

Edited by ramgirl

I think you misread Terrys post. Im sure if you put on a function,you will get support from the members here.Like he said,theres alot of work involved.Where,when and the hows. Hope you didnt take offence of his post.It is very helpful.

Way back,Spiel started a fun G2G tourney on the ice.I then took it for one year,then Maureen made it even bigger with the Fish for Tyler event.What Im trying to say is.We went from a small thing to a big thing.Just like the Lakeair summer G2G.Think there was 20 at the begining,now it,s a try and get a spot.

Lots of hard work, by alot of great people.

Good luck with what ever your trying to do.

No I didn't get offended I just really do not want people thinking that I am on here trying to take anyones cash, I am really just trying to get as much tips and help as possible. I do see where some people are coming from that as soon as I join I make this type of post but as I said I am stricly just looking for a little guidance. And yes his post overall was very helpful which I appreciated :)

I am seeing how much work it is going to be but I am pretty stubburn and determined and will get this done. And it is pretty awsome that you guys were able to make the tourney such a big event in the end. I am not going to give up no matter how hard this gets esspecially because it is for a charity.

I have already had offers for donations of prizes which I am so truly greatful for!

As I have ben saying, any tips, or advice, or any type of help I very much appreciate from you guys!

Thanks!

Kayla :)

I just finished hosting a first time, 2-day charity fishing tourney that ended up raising around $700 for the final tally.

It took 13months of planning and organization with the last six months being fairly intensive. If you want to have good prizes, you need to start soliciting at the end of this year before the reps spend their 2010 budget. I'm fairly certain most '09 budgets are spent by now.

Seeing as you have prizes, then really what you need to do is nail down;

date/location/headquarters

format

rules

fish species

*advertising*

ammenities

accommodation

food/drink

facilities

Unless you have a large ambitious committee, anything less than 6 months to furnish a well run, first time event could be quite a chore. Then comes the execution on the day(s) of the event... no small task either.

My best suggestion to you is to find someone who has already run a similar event and get them onboard with yours.

Good Luck!

ramgirl,

As Terry and Misfish have already stated, I would suggest that you don't try to do too much too fast. The Tyler event evolved over several years from a humble beginning to what it is now. I would think you want this to go off smoothly, and assuming it does, make it an annual event getting bigger and bigger each year.

I would think a location is going to be the most difficult thing. The one we have for Tyler is held on the ice, which allows for lot's of room and since the event is based out of a lakeside park, there is ample parking on shore.

My experience has been that finding a good summer shore spot is difficult (but most likely not impossible!). If you use a park, then the authorities would have to be on board with regards to liabilities and such. I know it is a sad state of affairs when we have to worry about being sued over something like this, but it is however a reality.

Like Terry said, you will need portable toilets unless there are already this type of facility at the location. Many private companies rent them for about $120.00 per day including drop-off and pick-up. Seeing as it is for charity, you might be able to get a donation on this from the company. Minimal expense for them.

We will try to come up with more specific info as things progress and you can always ask for specific info as questions come to mind. I really would suggest keeping it simple to start with, and try to get media coverage for the sake of the sponsors.

Good Luck!

Hi ramgirl

As already mentioned, it may be wise to get a few people involved in organizing the event.

Give everyone a task and keep checking on them regularly to make sure they get the job done.

If progress is slow, add someone else to help out.

A few things I can think of:

location, parking, food/drinks (if any), toilet/washroom availability, ticket sales & prize table organizers, fish verification & recording,

how to get the word out (friends, relatives, marketing/advertising), contest rules & regs, municipal requirements (by-laws, permits, etc.)

cheers

Remo