12' foot Aluminum deal?

Jaffa_ricky

Hi All

Wondering if you could lend me your thoughts.

Driving down the road the other day and spotted a nice little 12' Aluminum. 7.5 Mercury engine (mid-late 80s) I called the owner he says it all works. Asking price was $800. When I first drove past I thought the sign said $500 and that that was definitely a steal, however it has no trailer... just comes with the boat, motor and fuel tank and line. Should I go for it? or what should I be trying to get him to drop down to?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I've been told for a solid boat with good engine and trailer people are asking anywhere from $1000-1500.....maybe try to talk him down to the $500 :D

Check out the Sell & Trade section of the forums, see if there is anything similar up for sale...

In my opinion that seems a little hi for a 12' footer with a 7.5 from the Mid 80's however with that said the market drives the price so it may go for higher. I would suggest start at 500 and see where he goes from there. Ensure it all works first though of course.

that is a very good price, well in sault ste. marie anyways! if that guy brought that boat here to the sault that thing would probably be gone in 1-2hours. 12 foot tinner are a really wanted item and almost impossible to find locally even new ones. My buddy went last week to the local princecraft dealer and he said hes all sold out and ordering more 12footers cause he sold 25 that week alone.

If the boat is solid - never mind if it's scratched up, faded, whatever cosmetic - and the motor checks out, $800 would be a damned good price where I come from. Like WD says, up north old 12 footers are sought after.

I had a nice little 12 footer, in excellent shape, that I sold for $600 --- 25 years ago!

that is a very good price, well in sault ste. marie anyways! if that guy brought that boat here to the sault that thing would probably be gone in 1-2hours. 12 foot tinner are a really wanted item and almost impossible to find locally even new ones. My buddy went last week to the local princecraft dealer and he said hes all sold out and ordering more 12footers cause he sold 25 that week alone.

When you gotta carry your boat to half the lakes you go to, thats the way it is.

hahaha ohhh i know tell me about it Dara! my boat has been beaten off sooo many rocks, trees, through the mud and bush. it really takes a beating but still floats with no leaks and could still sell it for $500. i'd love to buy one of them porta botes but i definitely cant afford one. i guess the southern ontario ppl dont have as many places and dont have as much use for one as we do in this part of ontario.

hahaha ohhh i know tell me about it Dara! my boat has been beaten off sooo many rocks, trees, through the mud and bush. it really takes a beating but still floats with no leaks and could still sell it for $500. i'd love to buy one of them porta botes but i definitely cant afford one. i guess the southern ontario ppl dont have as many places and dont have as much use for one as we do in this part of ontario.

I would never have sold my 14 if I wouldn't have inherited a smaller one from my dad last year.

This part of the country, I would never be without a boat that will go in the back of my truck.

And ya gotta be able to jump a beaver dam :D

Edited by Dara

yup my 12foot fits perfect in the back of the truck and i've jumped a few beaver dams hahaha always super fun gunning it towards them pulling up the motor quick and going down them hahaha! just gotta watch those little buggers will attack you! theres one out at tilley i'd love to put some dynamite in POW! they may be strong but they don't hold together well after 7 sticks of dynamite, and no never done it :P

$800 isn't too much for that package. Cheap boats and motors usually come along when you already have them not when you need them. At $800 he's essentially asking $400 for boat and $400 for motor. Can you reasonably except to find another 1980's Merc and boat that cheap separately? I sold a Merc 7.5 hp last year for $525. Normal asking price for them is in the range of $450-600 in good running condition. A 12' tin boat sells for $300-500, but good ones are almost always closer to $500. Of course, there is always the odd package sold for $300, but let's be honest that almost never happens.

There is nothing wrong with offering a little less, though. In fact I think its part of the game. However, a low ball offer is insulting. Its certainly ok to tell him that you've found another similar package for $500 and ask if he can make you a better deal or match it, but don't just offer him $500 take-it-or-leave-it. As a guy who deals in old outboards as a hobby I've received all sorts of offers. If a guy offered me $500 for a package I priced at $800 I'd be annoyed that he wasted my time.