Looking for some French river muskie info

F_ast

Hey guys,

heading to the frech for a few days of muskie fishing the first week of August (Full moon on the 6th :lol: ). I have fished the french with good success that last few years, but always on the Hartley bay side of 69. I am heading east and staying at the Wolseley Lodge. Any one have any experience fishing this area?

Not looking for your secret spot, but just point in the right direction. A little hard to scout these areas since non of the french is really mapped on GPS... at least not on my garmin. Any help would be good... even colours that have worked well.

I have found walleye pattern, jail bird and white have worked well on the other side.

You can PM if you wish too.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I too am heading to fish the wolseley bay area of the french river for the first time Aug.8-15.

I'd appreciate any info for bass, walleye, musky, and pike. Like F ast stated I'm not asking for your honey holes, but rather lure, colour, bait and depth choices.

I'm hauling my own boat and plan to hire a guide the first day to get a layout of the land. Unfortunately no charts for my GPS in this neck of the woods.

Any info would be greatly welcomed.

Edited by dean's washing lures

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so it seems the only way to get answers from u French River Muskie vets. is through PM..so send away I am going up Last week of sept./first week of Oct. I go up at least once a year and have had loads of pike, bass and walleye success but no musky... if it helps I am located right near the mouoth of Nippising near the old Keystone Lodge...

What the hell!!

I signed on tonight to post questions about this same location. I'm going this weekend.

Is there a "French River Fishing Forum"?? :dunno:

I need to know what kind of live bait to bring, and what depth to target some eyes???? A good boat launch and safe parking would help too.

It looks like all the good PM's have been sent.

If there's any left over, send em my way Please :worthy:

What the hell!!

I signed on tonight to post questions about this same location. I'm going this weekend.

Is there a "French River Fishing Forum"?? :dunno:

I need to know what kind of live bait to bring, and what depth to target some eyes???? A good boat launch and safe parking would help too.

It looks like all the good PM's have been sent.

If there's any left over, send em my way Please :worthy:

I'm not sure if when you said "same location" u meant the french in general or the area that I specified.. if thats the case.. we use the Dokis Marina located off the Dokis reserve road a little outside of Noelville to dock and park.. cheap rates to park for the week too ... also has a little general store..handy when you're almost an hour away from civilization. :)

The parts of the French I fish are below the dams. I have no knowledge of the upper areas. Where I am, most of my fishing is off island points and rocky shoals. This, with weed beds within the spot or very close to it. I also fish in more open weed-ebds, but no luck at all for musky there - not even a follow. All those I've seen were in the combo kind of spots mentioned above. We will troll from time to time as we travel to a particular spot. Latched into two musky trolling. One was a nice hard hit, but never saw the fish. Another, my wife had on and was a 40" class fish, but she did the rolls and clipped the time. That was back when I was only using a 12" leader ... now I use 24" for casting and either 24" or 36" trolling. Started using top waters a little more last year and had one huge blow-up on the Top Raider, but the blind fish missed the bait. Wish I could help more, but I just don't have any information to make a comparison to the areas I fish. I look for areas listed above and that's where I try.

I'm not sure if when you said "same location" u meant the french in general or the area that I specified.. if thats the case.. we use the Dokis Marina located off the Dokis reserve road a little outside of Noelville to dock and park.. cheap rates to park for the week too ... also has a little general store..handy when you're almost an hour away from civilization. :)

Not really the exact same location.

We plan on hitting the water as close to 69 as possiblle, then heading east to Horseshoe Bay area. I don't know if we'll make it that far up the river.

A friend told me about a outpost neer hwy 69 called La Casse. Anyone ever here of that place??

• 3 weeks later...

HELP guys!!

Heading to the French in a week and would appreciate ANY help you may have on what kinds of lures and lines people are using up there for muskie and walleye. Tried a few times in the last year and had no luck. Much like the others, not looking for anyone's honey spot, just some help with what people are using to get the bites!

Well I'm heading up (again) to the French and havent heard anything back .. I'm hoping it's just because people havent been on this thread in a while (?) I have a good idea what works based on what I have tried in the past, just looking for some others perspectives. I'm fishing mostly Hunters and (Harris'?) Bays near the old Keystone lodge.. (near the mouth of Nippising) I really don't care for peoples honeyholes either.. just maybe tips on what to try out.. and when ? please.. I went up later in the fall last year during a bad cold front and got skunked..any help to limit my chances of a repeat would REALLY be appriciated :Gonefishing: