wreckless boater charged

chilli

http://wellandtribune.ca/

Cambridge man charged with dangerous boating on Niagara River

Posted By GRANT LaFLECHE/Sun Media

NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE — Niagara Regional Police take reckless boating on local waterways seriously. Really, really seriously.

For the past three weeks, NRP detectives from the marine unit worked to hunt down a boater who fled the U.S. Coast Guard and cut off Canadian boaters in Niagara-on-the-Lake. The investigation saw the officers gathering information from Niagara, Alberta, northern Ontario and Florida.

“It sends a message that the Niagara Regional Police will ensure that the waterways which we patrol are made safe for all boaters,” NRP spokeswoman Const. Jacquie Forgeron said.

The investigation began July 5, about 6:50 p.m., when the U.S. Coast Guard called the NRP after a cigarette boat avoided attempts to board it on the Niagara River and fled into Canadian waters.

Forgeron said the boat, a $600,000 Nor-Tech vessel that can travel at nearly 130 km/h, escaped the U.S. officers and headed to the Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club.

“They were docking to get fuel and in the process caused many boaters in the area to be cut off,” she said.

One of the two men on the boat used a credit card to pay for gasoline, and before the pair sped off they shouted to everyone nearby to pay attention.

“They told everyone to watch because they were going to run rings around the coast guard,” Forgeron said. “Several witnesses took photos of the boat before it left.”

By the time the NRP got a boat from Lake Erie into Lake Ontario, the offending vessel had been hauled out of the water and taken away on a trailer.

However, police had the witness photos, which included the boat’s licence number, and the credit card number used to pay for the gas.

With the help of the RCMP in Alberta, the detectives tracked the cardholder to a person in that province, Forgeron said.

The detectives also contacted a Nor-Tech distributor in northern Ontario. Forgeron said the distributor said the vessel had not been sold there, but to try a Nor-Tech office in Florida.

“The detectives were able to get good leads from there,” Forgeron said.

After detectives pulled all the threads together, they arrested a Cambridge man on Wednesday.

Shawn Reid, 35, is charged with dangerous operation of a vessel. He was released on bail Thursday and is scheduled to make another court appearance on Sept. 15.

Forgeron did not know if the U.S. Coast Guard will lay charges.

Article ID# 1670069

hope they throw the book at him...probably not. there is also another one on the upper river that has a skull and cross bones flag that tried to swamp me in my kayak twice the other night ! Last year the same baot had a huge water balloon launcher, and was shooting water balloons on the canadian side.

there is also another one on the upper river that has a skull and cross bones flag that tried to swamp me in my kayak twice the other night ! Last year the same baot had a huge water balloon launcher, and was shooting water balloons on the canadian side.

I guess some people never grow up....

Too bad they can't also charge him with being an idiot.

I don't know what it is with the go-fast crowd, but a lack of brain cells seems to be a common factor with all of these guys. If you ever want to re-think the concept of "intelligent life" go check out a poker run some time. Amazing what happens when you give a guy a high-powered boat and a belly full of beer.

Idiot11.jpg

Idiot10.jpg

Idiot2.jpg

Idiot3.jpg

Idiot5.jpg

Idiot4.jpg

Idiot6.jpg

Idiot7.jpg

Idiot8.jpg

Idiot9.jpg

Seems like some things just never change!

Idiot12.jpg

We all pay in the end for the stupidity of others and the greed of insurance companies. Insurance rates rise

regargless of others moronic moves. I'm getting kinda tired of paying for idiots.

:glare:

Most of us has, at some point, piloted a vehicle in an unsafe manner. Everyone of us has held the throttle on a quad, sled, dirtbike or watercraft all the way down to "see what this baby can do." Can anyone honestly say they've never acted on a need for speed? Nobody here has ever tried to pull a wheelie on their quads, or seeked to get a little "air-time" on their sleds? C'mon. Be honest.

Of course, the more you play with fire, the better the chance of getting burned, but those of us who've never had a wreck can attribute that to luck as well as making the right choices, because like I say, most of us have pushed the boundries of safe recreational vehicle operation at some point in our lives. I don't hammer down on my quad on a regular basis, but I do know exactly what the machine's top speed is, because I've been there.

Most of us has, at some point, piloted a vehicle in an unsafe manner. Everyone of us has held the throttle on a quad, sled, dirtbike or watercraft all the way down to "see what this baby can do." Can anyone honestly say they've never acted on a need for speed? Nobody here has ever tried to pull a wheelie on their quads, or seeked to get a little "air-time" on their sleds? C'mon. Be honest.

Of course, the more you play with fire, the better the chance of getting burned, but those of us who've never had a wreck can attribute that to luck as well as making the right choices, because like I say, most of us have pushed the boundries of safe recreational vehicle operation at some point in our lives. I don't hammer down on my quad on a regular basis, but I do know exactly what the machine's top speed is, because I've been there.

I don't think this is a matter of wreckless boating, but wrecklessness in general. It wasn't reckless because he was going fast, but more for being a total yikes with nothing to fear. That false thought of invincibility will get him soon enough.