Cabelas Questions

Hey, I was recently browsing the Cabela's american website and they have lot's of great stuff, IMO they might have better deals than BPS.

Anyway, I wanted to ask a few(as usual), are there rods well made, how have they performed, particularly the Prodigy casting rods, and there Eagle rods. How is this stores customer service and "Cabelas" brand warranty on there products. And last but not least, where is the nearest Cabelas from Oshawa.

Thanks, looking forward to some valuable info!

MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

i've been to a couple and cabelas blows bps out of the water every way possible. i'd trade that vaughan bps location plus tomas kaberle for one.

the nearest one i believe would be in michigan.

I believe the nearest Cabela's is near Toledo Ohio...anyway it's south of Detroit.

During the winter, when I am in the USA, I buy more items from Cabela's than from Bass Pro. I like Cabela's house brand plastics and they have sales on name brand tackle. BPS has plenty of sales, but it's mostly on their house brand stuff.

I bought two Cabela's rods, last year. Both were clearance items and cost me about $30.US each...One was a spare musky rods for my clients to use, and the other I bought for trolling. They turned out to be great bargains. They have good cork and plenty of guides etc. I feel that I got more than my moneys worth.

Remember if you buy from either company, there probably won't be parts available for any house brand reels you buy, and getting a rod repaired might not be feasible.

On the other hand, I consider the things I bought to be disposable.

their warranty is excellent although you have to factor in that you will need to $$$hip the item back to them both money and time wise. also, some of their house brand reels are actually daiwa and/or okuma rebadged. i have a cabelas dipsy rod that i've been using for a few years as well as their guidewear goretex rain suit. good stuff on both counts.

ps. dont tell canada customs you were at cabelas. seems they are aware the store carries guns and will become very inquisitive.

Edited by Raf

I use a Cabela's Tourney Trail rod (last years model), a 7' med/fast and it has always been one of my favourites. Very versatile and the action is as advertised, unlike, the 7' med/fast Bionic Blade that I ordered from BPS that I now use as a trolling rod.

I love Cabela's and would order from them more if not for the added cost of shipping (rods now have to be shipped by air at a premium) and parity on the dollar. I just don't find the deals in the states to be as mind blowing as they once might have been. Don't get a kick ass web site and the ease of to-your-door delivery mixed up with a great deal. I find that I use Cabala's web site as a resource for information and comparison sake, then go to my local for the product. And if we don't have it locally they order it in and some how the shipping never seems to affect the price. Try it.

Jim

they are an awesome store! i got my old minn kota 40lbthrust from there last year and shipped for free! to bad its sitting at the bottom of a lake right now hahaha! i also use the trail tourny medium heavy baitcaster with the diawa megaforce i got as a package deal for $120 which was an awesome deal with good quality rod with 2 year warrenty. and my buddy that lives down in the states shops there often and has lots of their lures and they do quite well. he was using some cheapo cabelas crankbait and was out fishing our rapalas this past weekend! cabelas is definitely the way to go if the shipping isnt outrageous

I agree with everybody else here. Cabelas is in a league of its own if you're comparing it to BPS. In product offerings, service and sale pricing, I don't know if anybody else in retailing is even close to Cabelas, either online or retail locations. I have a few cabelas rods from the top 1/2 of the product lines and they're well made using high quality components. Not long ago, they were selling some of their XMLTi spinning/casting rods for $30-50...that's less than the cost of the titanium alloy guides used on them. I don't think you'll find too many people disappointed with cabelas fishing rods. Some of the store brand reels have been stinkers, but most of them are good, especially the rebuilt and rebranded daiwa models.

They also have....THE BARGAIN CAVE!!!!!!!!

1st time I went to Dundee store I spent the 1st hour in the Musky section...WOW!! Wife got bored and went into the Bargain Cave....WITHOUT ME!!!! :angry:

She found a St. Croix AVID rod for herself for $109!!! Warranty tags were still on it.

Gonna go back in a few weeks!! WOO HOOO!!

There is also a Canadian Cabela's now but they don't carry all that much yet www.cabelas.ca

FT

1st time I went to Dundee store I spent the 1st hour in the Musky section...WOW!! Wife got bored and went into the Bargain Cave....WITHOUT ME!!!! :angry:

She found a St. Croix AVID rod for herself for $109!!! Warranty tags were still on it.

Gonna go back in a few weeks!! WOO HOOO!!

There is also a Canadian Cabela's now but they don't carry all that much yet www.cabelas.ca

FT

haha The bargain cave is SWEEEEEEEEEETTT !! I just went to Dundee Cabelas for the first time a couple of weeks ago, Picked up an ABU GARCIA Revo SX for $108 bucks !!!!! Reg. $170

I couldnt believe the deal !

I have to admit, I was always a doubter of Cabelas, always went to the BPS.... now since Ive been to cabelas, I think I HAVE to go back !

Now listen here and listen good my Canadian friends........Cabela's Bargain Cave is my Cave......I live in that Cave, I have a virtual cote set up in "My Cave" and all that stuff belongs to me......it's the best housing I could find anywhere. :P

I am a proud Cabela's Club member and credit card holder where I have received hundreds of dollars of FREE (my favorite word) stuff because of the card and being a member.....you should look into obtaining their credit card only if you like free stuff............(again my favorite word)........

Their customer service is UNMATCH by any other I have ever experience......maybe it's because I am such a good customer of theirs.........or maybe not.....

We have a BPS 100 miles east of here and I stop in there each time I visited one of my sons........good place and good selections plus good customer service compared to Expensive Mountain we have here that is only about 15 miles away......however, I have been in two different Cabela's stores out west and the BLOW away BPS in EVERY account......

BTW I hardly ever purchase anything at Expensive Mountain because the simply lack customer service and their prices are WAY out of line.......

Bob

P.S. I feel for you guys when I see how much more you have to pay up their in the Great White North.......all you guys should be pounding the Cabela's Canadian site to expand their selections so it's equal to the US Cabela's internet site........there are a lot of members here that I think could really make a difference. Cabela's does listen to their customer base.......

If there was a Cabelas with the prices and selection of the online U.S. store locally, it would be very dangerous :D

Selection, product availbility, pricing, warranty, customer service are out of this world.

Even after exchange rate and shipping you can still save tons of money versus your local Canadian Tire prices for example.

Husky Jerk's are on sale for $5.99 at Cabelas right now...you can't even buy a box of hooks for that price here! 'nuff said

Another Cabelas fan here. I've been mail ordering from them since the 70's. I usually visit one of the Minnesota stores and the Kansas City store annually. They could charge admission to these stores! I bought a Cabelas Prodigy (Diawa) reel last year and I'm really liking it. I also own several Fish Eagle II rods as well. For around $80.00 they are a steal. The rod case that they come in is worth $30 to $40 alone. There's a bunch of them on sale right now too. CLICK HERE

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I can't speak for their rods but I have Cabela's brand guidewear wading jacket and have used their waders for years...

They are excellent to deal with and they make a fine product.

I agree, cabela prices are the best you`ll find out there and their bargain cave is one of a kind.

With all these positive remarks from fishermen on this board, is there a reason cabelas has not build up one of their stores in GTA area??

There is some major cash to be made if they expended here, it would be awesome to have one as well.

Shipping on rods is a little bit steep but hey, buy enough and you wont even realize how little you paid for the shipping.