Steering Friction Adjustment????

sneak_e_pete

Hi all, I am reading the manual for the motor that I just bought and there are 2 things I don't understand/need clarification on.

What is steering friction (drag) adjustment? I don't understand the manuals explanation of what it means.

To be sure I understand this correctly as well, am I supposed to drive the boat with the motor tilted down all the way (totally vertical)?

It is a 2001 Mercury 40hp 4-stroke ELPT

Thanks.

The steering friction adjustment on a tiller is usually a bolt on the side of the part that mounts on the transon, either left or right side about /2 way between the two pivot points. Have it just tight enough that if you let go of the tiller handle that the motor doesn't turn left or right by itself. Motor trim can be from a couple degrees either side of vertical, totally vertical, well depends how much weight you're carrying each time it may be a bit different. Each boat is different.

You're right. After looking at it again, the knob on the handle is for the throttle friction. Which....brings up another question. Is that basically cruise control for the throttle. If I tighten the throttle friction, does that just mean that if I let go of the throttle (and obviously still steer the motor), the motor will maintain current speed without lowering the throttle?

Thanks.

Exactly ... matter of fact I just adjusted it on a new-to-me motor today ... I like it really stiff (so you have to work to steer).. that way when I am trolling in a particular direction I keep going in that direction even while I let go to fight a fish or whatever else needs doing... otherwise the tendancy is to steer automatically into the direction where most of the weight in the boat is (ie where you are sitting) .. and you end up going in a circle every time you have to let go of the tiller ... same holds true for the throttle (although less annoying) ... adjust and stays where you set it ... at least for a while