What do you folks think about this one???

Leecher

Today started wondering about making another lure for my arsenal (must be on vacation LOL) and immediately thought of the 10" jake..... Got busy at the band saw and here is the results..... I call it the Dotted Ghost!!!

And yes a name popped up immediately after I had dressed it LOL

IMGP2005.jpg

IMGP2004.jpg

Will it stand a chance at the big gators??

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

that is good sized. I say give it a rip. I like that one. Reminds me of a Suick Musky lure. nice big Jerk bait.

That sir, is a nice 8" woody you got there.

Edited by Cudz

that is good sized. I say give it a rip. I like that one. Reminds me of a Suick Musky lure. nice big Jerk bait.

That sir, is a nice 8" woody you got there.

Thanks Cudz!!! But it's 10" long and I called it Dotted Ghost :D

I'm sure the big "french ladies" will love that 8"er... :lol:B)

Thanks GBW!!! :lol: Remember it's a 10"er :lol:

OK, Jacques. You asked in the other thread, so I hope you don't mind me adding to this one, because it seems a better fit. :)

I made this wooden lure years ago, when I lived a couple of hundred miles from anywhere you could catch a muskie. I guess some fishing mag reading I had done put the bug in me and I figured, "Some day I'm gonna try this."

The body is pine, the bendable tail fin is aluminum pinned in place, and the eyes are thumbtacks! :D

I think it's probably a poor design so I never did try it. But you never know --- people catch pickerel on Vienna sausage, perch on bits of salami, and gar pike on pieces of thread, so why not a muskie on this muskie killer which I call "Wishful Thinking". :P

wishfulthinking.jpg

OK, Jacques. You asked in the other thread, so I hope you don't mind me adding to this one, because it seems a better fit. :)

I made this wooden lure years ago, when I lived a couple of hundred miles from anywhere you could catch a muskie. I guess some fishing mag reading I had done put the bug in me and I figured, "Some day I'm gonna try this."

The body is pine, the bendable tail fin is aluminum pinned in place, and the eyes are thumbtacks! :D

I think it's probably a poor design so I never did try it. But you never know --- people catch pickerel on Vienna sausage, perch on bits of salami, and gar pike on pieces of thread, so why not a muskie on this muskie killer which I call "Wishful Thinking". :P

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy350/h...fulthinking.jpg

Joko I don't mind it at all and do appreciate you posting..... I like the name you have chosen for your lure... makes it interesting. It's too bad that you never tried it and should give it a go..... it's the only way to find out if the effort you put into making it will yeal results.

For me, if it fails, will go back to the drawing board and start again LOL

Will it stand a chance at the big gators??

Nice jerkbait, should attract some hungry gators! :thumbsup_anim:

Personally, I would go with bigger hooks and hardware. Even some of the smaller muskies would bend and twist those hooks.

Nice jerkbait, should attract some hungry gators! :thumbsup_anim:

Personally, I would go with bigger hooks and hardware. Even some of the smaller muskies would bend and twist those hooks.

Thanks ChrisS!!! Suggestion noted :thumbsup_anim:

Looks decent! Kind of like a mix between a Jake and a Suick.

Thanks Rich!!! It's a mix breed for sure LOL

Nice design. Killer paint job!

The only thing I worry about is if you carved out that lip from the same piece of wood, it will be terribly weak and quickly break off. I also know that a lot of Musky guys make their own lures. For lures and fish of that size, they plow out a groove on the bottom to interconnect the hooks with a "through-wire" for strength, then refill the groove with epoxy.

If you are interested, they have many discussion forums on various Musky sites about Lure Making.

Hopefully your postings will inspire a whole new forum section.

Cheers,

Mark

Nice design. Killer paint job!

The only thing I worry about is if you carved out that lip from the same piece of wood, it will be terribly weak and quickly break off. I also know that a lot of Musky guys make their own lures. For lures and fish of that size, they plow out a groove on the bottom to interconnect the hooks with a "through-wire" for strength, then refill the groove with epoxy.

If you are interested, they have many discussion forums on various Musky sites about Lure Making.

Hopefully your postings will inspire a whole new forum section.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark!!! Yes it's a one piece including the lip.... What I wanted to really do is add a plastic lip after it was carved but just did not know where to buy those.... so I reduced the height of it to be able to fit the lip on a 1" x 2" piece of wood I was working on.

Next project will be a 5" Zara spook for top water bass!!! B)

Leechman

LOL....great handy work again Jaques.....i'm not gonna even begin to chime in with names for your creation.....although you could name it after a traditional English cake called 'spotted dick' or with your gallic influence hows about 'the French tickler" :D

Thanks folks, I like the names that was suggested LOL Real inspiring LOL Keep those coming :thumbsup_anim: Haven't decided yet LOL

LOOKS great, my only concern would be that it would lay on it's side in the water instead of lip down....have you tested that yet.....

Thanks Billy, yes I have tested it in the kitchen sink and it laid down flat on it's side once I put it in :wallbash:

Leechman -- one of my all time favourite zara-spook type baits was made out of wood. I think it was called a wood walker, by ozark mountain or something like that.

Cool cram :thumbsup_anim: I will give it a try and post my results when I do!!!

****** UPDATE ******

I've been thinking of adding lead inserts into the pieces I have made to help stabilize them once they were in water and could not decide what I could do.... I left home around 11:00am this morning and purchased cone shaped sinkers. I got busy trying to figure out how I could do this and I finally got the guts to drill holes into my finsihed pieces on the bottom using my press drill, added epoxy, dropped the lead in and filled the hole with more epoxy :w00t:

Here is the results

DSC02174.jpg

DSC02172.jpg

After I let it set and dry.... tried it in the sink again... here is the results

DSC02173.jpg

This is an improvement from my first trial!!! I think she might just make it with being retrieved :D

DSC02171.jpg

and also this one which is 100% improvement compared to yesterday which was floating on it's side B)

Now I just need to go out and give it a good test!!!

Thanks again folks :canadian:

Leechman

Thanks Mark!!! Yes it's a one piece including the lip.... What I wanted to really do is add a plastic lip after it was carved but just did not know where to buy those.... so I reduced the height of it to be able to fit the lip on a 1" x 2" piece of wood I was working on.

Next project will be a 5" Zara spook for top water bass!!! B)

Leechman

For lip material you can use 1/4" lexan.Use a jigsaw or bandsaw if you have one to cut out the profile.You can get some at a building center or even a window shop.Also try a home recycle center like restore that takes stuff from stores as well.Many display cases are made from Lexan.Might get it reel cheap that way.

Kerry

For lip material you can use 1/4" lexan.Use a jigsaw or bandsaw if you have one to cut out the profile.You can get some at a building center or even a window shop.Also try a home recycle center like restore that takes stuff from stores as well.Many display cases are made from Lexan.Might get it reel cheap that way.

Kerry

Thanks Kerry for the great suggestion!!! I'll certainly keep that in mind :thumbsup_anim: