Shimano Symetre Problem

ohhenrygsr

hey guys i'm a big fan of Shimano and this is the first reel i've experience this problem before. Seem that sometimes when i set the hook the reel turns off the anti-reverse mode. Anyone experience this before or have a fix thanks Henry

The old Mitchell 300's and 400's used to have that problem ... the anti reverse-dog was made of plastic and the little spring didnt last long under the pressures of heavy fish ....I used to rig a special spring to keep them working (but then I always wondered why they even let you turn it off ... I mean who ever uses their reel without the anti-reverse set ????)

Edited by camillj

My Symetre does the same thing. I've had it for 10 years and it just started doing this since I put braid on it last year. If I get snagged and start whipping it to dislodge the snag, the anti-rev. will give way. I'm sending mine to Peterborough for a look-see this off-season.

My Symetre does the same thing. I've had it for 10 years and it just started doing this since I put braid on it last year. If I get snagged and start whipping it to dislodge the snag, the anti-rev. will give way. I'm sending mine to Peterborough for a look-see this off-season.

hey Viscount can you keep me updated on your progress i might be doing the same thing

... I mean who ever uses their reel without the anti-reverse set ????)

Beats me. Especially when fishing (and netting) by yourself, having the anti-reverse off spells almost certain disaster!

The anti-reverse mechanism uses a small, Y-shaped cog to prevent the reel from reversing. It sounds like the cog has either slipped out of alignment or chipped its tooth. If you send the reel to Shimano, or take it to a repair shop like Aikman's (in Mississauga, off Dundas near Hurontario) they can replace the cog for a couple of bucks and you're back in business.

As noted, the old Mitchell 300s also had this problem, as did some of the old Zebco and Shakespeare models when they first incorporated silent retrieves.

I would not recommend using braided line on these reels - too much stress on small parts (which result from all of us wanting lighter weight and more compact reels).

The anti-reverse mechanism uses a small, Y-shaped cog to prevent the reel from reversing. It sounds like the cog has either slipped out of alignment or chipped its tooth. If you send the reel to Shimano, or take it to a repair shop like Aikman's (in Mississauga, off Dundas near Hurontario) they can replace the cog for a couple of bucks and you're back in business.

As noted, the old Mitchell 300s also had this problem, as did some of the old Zebco and Shakespeare models when they first incorporated silent retrieves.

I would not recommend using braided line on these reels - too much stress on small parts (which result from all of us wanting lighter weight and more compact reels).

Awesome Thanks Craig i will contact them ASAP

Okay, what's a good spinning reel for braid under 20lb., that's under 10oz in weight?