Can child (6 yrs old) ride in the front seat of a vehicle if...

fisher

- the pickup truck only has front seats?

- or if it is a 2-seater vehicle?

I can't find this answer anywhere on MTO website and unless someone can point me to where it is (officially), I will have to call them directly (no doubt waiting on the phone forever).

I know that I'd have to turn off the airbag for them and they will be in a booster.

Wondering if anyone else looked this up before?

And since this is a place full of so much knowledge, thought I'd post and see.

Cheers

Actually I did find this on the MTO website....

Tip 9. Installing away from active air bags

Always install child car safety seats away from active air bags. The safest place is in the back seat of a passenger car, sport utility vehicle or light truck and either the second or third row in a mini-van.

Based on the above it looks like the front seat is not against the law.

...mind you the issue might be.. can your properly anchor a car seat to current regs in said seat. Suspect a 6 year old only = booster seat. How did we ever get our kids home from the hospital safely in the 80's.....

I'm sure the ministry has some lame answer for you!

...mind you the issue might be.. can your properly anchor a car seat to current regs in said seat. Suspect a 6 year old only = booster seat. How did we ever get our kids home from the hospital safely in the 80's.....

We didn't. Well, not all of them anyway. Many were killed and thats why we have these safety laws now.

We were never hardly bothered for drinking and driving either

Edited by Dara

There is no law as to where the child seat must be located. Making sure its installed right is a different story. rear facing infant carrier seat use the seat belt or U.A.S assembly and make sure the handle is DOWN at all times. I see parents driving all the time with the handle up and it just burns me up knowing that they could not have taken the time to read the instructions for the safety of there own child. Your child is in more danger with the handle up then if s/he is not in a seat at all. If its forward facing use the U.A.S or seat belt assembly and a tether strap. Common sense says the rear middle seat in any vehicle is the best for your child. If you have no rear seat then you have no choice to put them in the front. Make sure the air bag is off. I took the three day course for work. Any other questions I would be happy to help:) Hope this answered your question and taught some others also. Kids are our future lets keep them safe!!!

I called MTO a few years ago for the exact same question and their reply was there is no law against children sit in the front passenger seat, but for safety reason if a child has to sit in the front seat, you should disable the airbag if possible.

That was probably 3 years ago when I had my DelSol (2 seater), not sure if the law has changed. A call to them should get you the answer.

thanks everyone.

And I hear you about the smoking...I don't smoke but it just baffles me how people need a law to force them not to smoke in an area that is confined with their kids present - especially today. If I offended anybody - too bad.