Things seem to have turned around at last!

Garry2Rs

Well I have to admit that until now the North Kawartha Bass and Musky fishing hasn't been that great.

However, things have picked up dramatically in the last few days.

The first three weeks of the month were tough, but last Sunday my clients caught these two Large Mouth Bass, on Yum frogs, at the same time!

ChrisSteveLMB07-19-09.jpg

Later one fellow caught this huge 5.4 pound Bass on a watermelon Senko type worm!

SteveGary54LbLMB07-19-09Cashbog.jpg

I think the cool weather has held things back until now.

Normally after the spawn there is about a two week period where the fish are scattered and hard to catch. Unfortunately this often coincides with the opening of Bass season in Ontario.

Since the end of June we have been catching small fish, in good numbers, but the big ones were nowhere to be found. All that seemed to change last weekend...

Saturday I caught a Musky on Stoney, while bass fishing, Sunday my clients had a great day on top waters and Texas rigged Senko type worms. Then yesterday I got into a bunch of big Smallmouth Bass, again on Stoney, for the first time this year.

If I'm right, the next couple of weeks will be great!

Garry2R's

I visited some north kawartha lakes over the weekend, lots of smaller fish couple good sized ones as well and watermelon senkos were the ticket as well :thumbsup_anim: on wacky rigging.

Lake trout were rather uncooperative though managed 4 in the boat over two different lakes biggest in the 5 lb range

I just started using Senkos this year too, I didn't initially have much confidence in them but now I think it's probably my favourite lure. Pink has been working well for me too, loads of small smallmouth in the Otonabee here in Town and a few respectable size ones mixed in. I've been trying the Zero plastic worms as well, I think I prefer the Senkos but we'll see.

Garry that's great to hear, the fishing on Stoney and I presume most lakes has been 'off' this year because of the colder temperatures (where's the global warming?) I've been to Stoney about 5 times so far this year and the size of bass is way down below my outings the past several years.

Hitting up Sturgeon Lake for the second time this Saturday, and should be on Stoney the next so I'm looking forward to hopefully some better fishing. Which part of Stoney Lake do you launch from? I usually start off at McCracken's Landing, and enjoy fishing the Burleigh Falls, Hell's Gate, and south of Big Island in Clear Lake.

Nice report, thx.

I always use Pink Flukes, but I didn't think the fish liked them any better than more natural colours. My thought is that I do a better job of fishing them, because they are easier to see at a distance...

I bought some pink Powerbait finesse worms, for drop shotting, because they float and that's all I could get...grin. So far I am having good luck with them.

The Zero worms do last a long time, but I don't really like them because the plastic is so gummy.

I supply everything for my clients, including bait...Real Senko don't last long enough to suit me. I use a lot of BPS Sticko's and Cabela's Aqua-Glow Senko-copies as well as some generic Senko-type worms that are available in Bridgenorth and Bancroft. All of these baits catch fish and the cost is much lower on the non-name brands.

On Stoney, I launch at Mount Julian/Viamede because it's the closest to my place. I tend to fish from there down the lake because there is less and less traffic the farther you get from the Lockes.

Garry2rs