Rod transportation

fish-miester

Hey guys and gals,

Im heading up to the haliburton area to the cottage , and planned on taking all my gear + rods etc as well as 4 others plus my self (full car)

which got me thinking.. i normaly lay my rods over the back seat with the tips laying in the tray just under my radio, tho by doing this it takes up the middle back seat , the rods are 6'6 - 7'2 all one pieces. so breaking them down is not an option.

as well as im not sure if the Sante fe is big enough to hang them from the inside roof by the "oh shoot" handles with a strap across holding the rods as i have seen done before.

another idea i was thinking was to make / get a case for the rods to put on top of the car itself and attatch to the roof racks?

maybe a pvc pipe or 2.. and strap them on some how?

or does any one else have a better idea? or personal experiences with this?

if all else fails i will make the passengers suffer.. i really dont mind :P as long as the rods are comin to..

after thinking it over im looking to buy a piece or 2 pieces of pvc pipe , aprox 7-7'2

-thanks again

a fellow angler

Edited by fish-miester

Rod case is not a bad idea, but why not just shock-cord them to the roof rack, butt-end forward. Nothing much will hurt them up there for the few hours you will be driving.

KISS method. :D

PVC pipe is good if you are taking the reels off.

I would use some BPS rod sleeves to avoid the line getting all tangled and some shock cord or rod wraps to keep 'em together.

If you are taking the reels off, the pipe idea is a good one.

Of course what I meant in the earlier response was the rods only, not the reels! ;)

Your rods are exposed to the elements for days on end when fishing. A few hours on a roof rack isn't going to hurt them. But sure, by all means, pipe is a good idea. White 4" sewer pipe (new! :P ) is good. It comes in 10' lengths, it's lighter than the black stuff and easier to cut, and you can buy end caps for it. If you want tie-down holes you can buy the kind that already has holes in it (for tile beds).

Of course what I meant in the earlier response was the rods only, not the reels! ;)

Your rods are exposed to the elements for days on end when fishing. A few hours on a roof rack isn't going to hurt them. But sure, by all means, pipe is a good idea. White 4" sewer pipe (new! :P ) is good. It comes in 10' lengths, it's lighter than the black stuff and easier to cut, and you can buy end caps for it. If you want tie-down holes you can buy the kind that already has holes in it (for tile beds).

Great idea. You can get PVC from 1"1/2 to 6". Test caps (usually orange) cost pennies, and full lengths up to 20 feet. If you need more room just add a coupling and extend the pipe as needed. I never would have thought of this as case for rods! Considering how easy the pipe is to manipulate the possibilities are endless in what you can do to customize your case.

Thanx for the idea. Im headin to home depot 2moro WOOT!!

Edited by Jip

Its all relevant to the size pipe your using. For a 7.5 length you would purchase a 10 FT length (anywhere from 14-34$ depending on the circumference ie. 1"1/2 or 3") Fittings are dirt cheap. you can get test caps from 50 cents to 3 dollars. Likewise for couplings. Im quoting Home Depot prices. Your local plumbing supplier will have much more competative prices depending on the local demand so check them out first. All in all your looking at 15 to 30 bucks for a decent set up.

hope that helps!

You can go to any carpet place and they will happily give you all of the carpet tubes you want. You might need more than one but hey the price is right. Duct tape the ends and throw them away when they get frayed.

Art

Actually, a lot of contractors(especially electrical) use the same Pipe strapped to the roof of their White vans to carry some of their longer drill bits and fish tape, etc.

The ones I have seen use the white PVC and they use a screw on cap fitting on the end(much like a clean-out). I would assume it adds a little security and keeps the weather out.

I have been mulling over the same idea so I could finally get some longer 1 piece musky rods.

Cheers,

Mark