What kind of bird is this?

crankbait

Was able to capture some beautiful pictures of this bird while fishing.

Poor fella had some fishing line on it as well, which is why it's important to dispose of your line properly.(You can see the line on the 3rd pic, right leg)

Can someone help identify it. Thanks

3727932193_06bb9d9bfb_b.jpg

3728736738_14c505822f_b.jpg

3727938663_37a1a459c7_b.jpg

If you can sit quietly and move only slowly and calmly, you can easily get to within 10-15 ft. They will get used to you if they feel safe in your presence. The one I took pics of in the spring hung around, right close, for the free dead minnows I would toss to him. Same goes for loons. I had a pet loon as a teen. Every morning he'd wait by the dock for me to check the bait trap, and I'd feed him a minnow or two dockside. Doesn't take much to get a chickadee to perch on your shoulder.

I was catching panfish in a back bay once and had one land on the back of my 12ft boat. It was a bit of a surprise to say the least.

He was obviously used to handouts as he was quick to eat a few perch that I threw to him.

I have no idea :dunno:

A piece of the log he's standing on. Note that the log is floating higher in the second pic. Maybe the first one was from just after he landed?

Really nice shots. I've never seen one closer than about 30 - 40 feet.

We were fishing a small lake north of the Berens River years ago, cleaned a bunch of fish for our supper and tossed the guts in the bush up the shore away from camp not to attract the bears but to attract some eagles. All night long there was lots of squacking from some birds, and the next morning while on the lake we approached where we had dumped the guts, and slowly as we approached a blue heron would take to the air. As we approached closer more would take to the air. We eventually counted thirteen herons leaving the fish guts pile.

Great Shots! I know that they are all over Picton Bay. Was there a few weeks ago putting out the dock on the summer home and they would often fly down around dawn and hang out for a few mins at the edge of the dock. I thought they were some sort of Crane at first untill i was corrected!

Beautiful birds nonetheless!! And those white Xraps really catch their attention =P