Pond Fishing

Lunker777

Ok,

My buddy has a 4.5 acre pond at his place. The pond was stocked with bass and trout at one point. I think the trout have since died because no one has caught one in about 10 years. There currently is a $500 bounty on them if you catch one hahah ANYWAYS

The bass used to be crazy in the pond. Would always catch them. This year has been very slow... He said its never been this slow !

The pond is about 35ft deep in the middle. Up untill saturday, fishing from shore was the only way to fish the pond, saturday we went to cabelas and picked up a transom mount trolling motor for a little 14' tinny he has in the pond. Now we can get to any part/depth of the pond, its great. Yesterday we fished it for a little while and I managed to land, I would say a 2.5-3# bass on a white spinner bait and that was it for the day ! Not another bite !

Now, the depth changes VERY suddenly in the pond... itll go from a foot or 2 on the shore and drop to 16-20ft in a matter of feet.

WHERE ARE THESE BASS HIDING ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? What should I be trying ??? The pond also has bluegills and tonnes of them for bait fish !

Thanks for any help !

wouldn't be too surprised if they're down deepeer in the midday sun. you might try running a deep-diving crankbait along drop-offs, or natural bait (dew worms, small bluegills) under a slip float. if i were you, i'd be fishing the surface early in the morning and late into the evening.

also, good bet the trout are done--trout and bass don't co-exist so well together.

Edited by castgame

As said try early and late on the surface, also find the drop off work the edge.

My Dads club has 5 acer pond and it is also stocked with Raibows and specs and a whole wack of bass, they can and will live together no problem, and they do not have the depth that you are speaking about.

Find the deepest point and try jigging, also are any inlets or outlet and try around that area. If you fly fish again early or late and try to match the hatch and see what happens, in the club they have recently pulled out 10+ pound rainbows one larger was lost about a week ago so give it a go and good luck.

Have you tried to fish it through the ice?

FLEX

As said try early and late on the surface, also find the drop off work the edge.

My Dads club has 5 acer pond and it is also stocked with Raibows and specs and a whole wack of bass, they can and will live together no problem, and they do not have the depth that you are speaking about.

Find the deepest point and try jigging, also are any inlets or outlet and try around that area. If you fly fish again early or late and try to match the hatch and see what happens, in the club they have recently pulled out 10+ pound rainbows one larger was lost about a week ago so give it a go and good luck.

Have you tried to fish it through the ice?

FLEX

Ive suggested fishing through the ice, but something about it being spring fed makes the ice unsafe ???

Im determined to pull a lunker outta there ... there has got to be fish ! There was 100000 baby largies around there early in the season... so there has to be some big mommas out there !

bass typically out-compete trout from what i've heard. or maybe this only occurs when they're both naturally spawning--somebody more knowledgeable should enlighten us

other possibility for the trout disappearance is poaching. word gets out, next thing you know you've got only empty tim horton's coffee cups, and no trout...

if i were you and determined to catch a big bass, i'd do this: spend an afternoon catching bluegills with a worm and bobber, or overnight with a minnow trap. then one evening, take one of the little guys, rig him up with a treble hook, and throw 'im out under a big float or even a balloon blown up to about the size of a small lemon. if that injured bluegill doesn't entice a big largie to hit, i don't know what will!

Now, the depth changes VERY suddenly in the pond... itll go from a foot or 2 on the shore and drop to 16-20ft in a matter of feet.

The depth change in that short of a distance is an edge, edges are good places to fish, especially if you can find irregularities on the edge like an underwater point or trough, just highways for fish movement. Type of cover or weed growth? Water clarity? A carolina rigged lizard or such dragged at different depths along the drop off may produce some action, or different depth running crankbaits cast along the drop off.

Some ponds live bait will out produce lures, especially for big bass. Big chub or shiner on a slip float?