Choosing the proper Rods

LucG

I am planning on doing some amateur tournement fishing this summer and need to upgrade my gear.

If I were to but three rods to satisfy all my fishing needs, what should they be? ...lenght, type of action, and also what combinations of line as well. I will be fishing mainly bass, pike & walleye.

More info needed..... what type of cover, what type of technique.... etc. etc.

Im no expert but I would say 6'6 MH 6'6 M or ML and a 7' H to start... That way you have something for crankin, drop shotting and soft plastics and a flippin stick !

Edited by Lunker777

Im no expert but I would say 6'6 MH 6'6 M or ML and a 7' H to start... That way you have something for crankin, drop shotting and soft plastics and a flippin stick !

This is what kind of suggestions I'm looking for, thanks Lunker!

I was going to pick up somthing in the ranges you mentioned above.

My budget isnt very big, so I'll prob end up buying from the better end rods at Canadian Tire or order from Bass Pro.

What kind of line would you suggest? Or should I get in the habit of swithing types of line often.

This is what kind of suggestions I'm looking for, thanks Lunker!

I was going to pick up somthing in the ranges you mentioned above.

My budget isnt very big, so I'll prob end up buying from the better end rods at Canadian Tire or order from Bass Pro.

What kind of line would you suggest? Or should I get in the habit of swithing types of line often.

Again, Im not an EXPERT haha but I have my 3 bait casters spooled with power pro braid. But thats because my main fishery is crazy weeds.... they are everywhere. I have one spinning reel also with braid and I have another spooled with 10# floro for drop shotting.

If I remmeber correctly for cranking you'll want to use floro, either 12-14#

For flipping, usually your into some heavy cover or brush piles logs, etc. I use 50# powerpro.

Anything with soft plastics usually you want a lighter line ( floro ) to not affect the action of the bait or the rate of drop ! But braid will work well with a floro leader usually !

I know guys that use braid for EVERYTHING.... and tie on a floro or mono leader when needed. I guess its all in what your going to be fishing ! haha Again, like I said.... Im new to this hobby myself. So take what I say with a grain of salt I guess !

This is the best place for advice ! I've learned alot from the people here at OFC !

Im sure once 5-6 oclock hits you'll have lots of people chiming in on what you should be getting into ! haha People finish work then ! haha

A lot of factors to consider here. If you don't use a specific technique, I'd say, get one that's fairly beefy (maybe medium heavy) for the times when you fish in the slops/thick weed. Get a medium for general use and maybe a light action for the smaller fish/better sensitivity.

IMO canadian tire's rod are overpriced (unless they have a big sale), with the same price at bigger tackle stores you can get something with better quality.

If it's St. Clair and erie I would get 7 ft spinning rods St.Croix has Triumph, Shamanio Clarus at about $80 get 2 and a 6-6 medium heavy Triumph or Clarus bait caster, if you going to Long Point then get 2 bc and 1 spinning. Get some Spider Thread Braid it's the latest technology in braid.

Garnet

If you're on a budget it's hard to beat BPS. The Extreme and Woo Daves rods are pretty good for the money. They list at $100US each, but since there are constant sales on all BPS house brand rods, I would only buy them when they are on sale.

Shimano Compre would also be a good compromise between quality and price.

To get started I think one spinning and two bait casting rods will do it.

Lengths of 6'6" or 7ft. for all three rods...

ML spinning rod for weightless plastics and drop shot etc.

Med. casting rod for crankbaits and Jerk baits.

MH Casting rod for big baits, trolling, heavy cover and to Pitch and Flip.

As far as line goes, I would spool 15 to 20 pound braid on the spinning rod (Fireline Braid or Powerpro) and 30 - 40 pound on the baitcasters. Use Fluorocarbon leaders if you want to...I don't see much difference except when using finesse techniques.

Garry2rs

If you're on a budget it's hard to beat BPS. The Extreme and Woo Daves rods are pretty good for the money. They list at $100US each, but since there are constant sales on all BPS house brand rods, I would only buy them when they are on sale.

Shimano Compre would also be a good compromise between quality and price.

To get started I think one spinning and two bait casting rods will do it.

Lengths of 6'6" or 7ft. for all three rods...

ML spinning rod for weightless plastics and drop shot etc.

Med. casting rod for crankbaits and Jerk baits.

MH Casting rod for big baits, trolling, heavy cover and to Pitch and Flip.

As far as line goes, I would spool 15 to 20 pound braid on the spinning rod (Fireline Braid or Powerpro) and 30 - 40 pound on the baitcasters. Use Fluorocarbon leaders if you want to...I don't see much difference except when using finesse techniques.

Garry2rs

Thanks alot Garry!

I'd add that while I agree that the Shimano Compre are great rods, they are a bit overpriced. I'd also look at the Fenwick HMX and HMG, and St. Croix Premier. I also own a BPS Extreme but find it heavier than the ones I mentioned above (for the same action/type). For dropshotting, I think it's esp important to have a light rod (weight-wise). My friend has the St. Croix Mojo 6'9" ML XF. Great price for $80 but a bit heavy when compared to more expensive models like the Crucial.