Insurance on a Boat/Trailer? :S

Mattones

I am looking into buying a 14 ft aluminum boat. Nothing pretty. Would i still need insurance on the boat of that size which cost me a few hundred bucks? I know you need plates on the trailor and I guess you would need insurance on that? I have tried to look this stuff up but I gave up and figured since alot of you own your own boat you could help me out on what I need?

If you want to keep the premiums down, I would only put just liability on the boat. The trailer should be covered under your car insurance when it is connected to your vehicle.

Depending on what other stuff is on the boat you may consider a theft rider also. That will increase the premium a little bit.

Tom.

I never had insurance on my trailer or 14' 15hp.

I'm not in a real populated area though.

You might want to consider insurance on the boat in case you run into somebody on the water.

I have a 20k boat now so I insured it.

Yeah...what Tom said..just liability.

If the trailer isn't insured, your vehicle insurance will cover accidents, but won't fix your boat.

Edited by Dara

If i happen to run into someone on the water would that effect my truck insurance or would this be a differen kind of insurance? Just asking as my truck insurance ia high enough. lol

I guess its better safe then sorry to be covered right.

Edited by Mattones

The trailer is covered under automotive. Not mandatory, but wise to get boat insurance. Full coverage on my side console runs $25-30 a month. Includes Fire , theft, damage and collisions plus $1 million for public liability.

I called my insurance company (home/auto all in one) a few days after I bought my 14' 15Hp boat just to let them know that I have the boat, and if it gets stollen, i'm going to put a claim in.

My rates didn't go up. They thanked me for letting them know.

Gave me some peace of mind.

OFAH seems like a good idea if your worried about insurance on the water.

CHECK WITH YOUR AGENT!

All policies are different.

In my personal case,...

Most auto policies will cover damage done by your trailer( liability), but , not damage TO your trailer. Same with the boat. I needed a seperate policy to cover liability on the water, and, coverage on the boat/trailer itself.

This spring, I removed a (1978)16' trihull 70 hp rig & added a(1985) 14'Grumman w/ 9.9 Johnson...the premium went UP $5/year :rolleyes:

I also learned that if I loaned my boat to a buddy...he wrecks...HIS auto insurance will NOT cover the boat/trailer ! just any damage to the other guy caused by the boat/trailer.

It is up to the boat owner to keep coverage ON the boat/trailer.

Or you can join the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

You are then covered for $3,000,000 worth of liability when doing fun stuff in the outdoors. ;)

OFAH Member Benefits

Don't assume this covers you for liability when boating using OFAH Members Benefits.

This quote was taken from your provided link. Click "for more information" link re: insurance.

Quote:"This policy provides no coverage for automobiles, boats, motors, ATV's or snowmobiles. That form of liability insurance is typically provided through a home and/or auto insurance policy."

Rick

Don't assume this covers you for liability when boating using OFAH Members Benefits.

This quote was taken from your provided link. Click "for more information" link re: insurance.

Quote:"This policy provides no coverage for automobiles, boats, motors, ATV's or snowmobiles. That form of liability insurance is typically provided through a home and/or auto insurance policy."

Rick

I stand corrected, I guess it still covers me if I shoot someone at the range or in the field or hook them in the wazzoo while fishing though. :w00t::thumbsup_anim::clapping: