How do I????

HTHM

How do I rig for lakers, the only thing I have for depth is a dipsy diver #1 (the middle size) in silver. What should I pull, and will my 10'6" shimano convergenge be the right rod to use? Speed, depth and other info requested

I will be fishing Manatulin Lake.

You mean Lake Manitou?

Maybe somebody can give you advice on jigging, with the equipment you have. In summer my preferred method has been trolling with steel line, including on Lake Manitou, out from the Sandfield launch. The lakers are down deep now - probably 60 to 100 feet, and they're hard to reach. Unless you jig, I think the only way you can reach them reliably this time of year is steel lining or downrigging. Shallow trolling only works in the spring.

At those depths, if you're jigging, I think you'd be better off for feel and for hook set if you were using a non-stretch line, not monofilament. If I were trying it I would look for any significant up-slope (might even see some "hooks" from suspended lakers on the depth-finder) and I would start with silver spoons - maybe a Williams Wabbler or a Williams Whitefish. Drift up the slope so I could adjust as I feel the spoon hit the bottom. Sorry, I'm kind of guessing here, but that's what I would try.

Seems to me there were some pickerel in Manitou. I never tried for those, strictly lakers with wire line, which is quite a technique in itself if you're not used to it.

You didn't mention whether you have access to a downrigger. If you've got one of those, you're good to go with a medium spinning or casting outfit.

Take care on Manitou --- it's wide open and it can get rough.

Edited by Jocko

I've only been out for lakers once there with my bro-in-law who spends the summer there each year and knows his way around. He uses riggers. We got our lakers at about 90' at this time of the year on a sunny day if that matters. We weren't even marking much on the screen that day, just a few isolated fish. Based on the time we spent trolling I'd say that without some really solid local knowledge jigging would be a waste of time. Better to go for bass in the back bays.

And watch for rock shoals in the middle of the lake.

JF

Try using a three way swivel. off the bottom a dropper line with a bell sinker( how large depends on the lure you are using and how deep you want to go) then off the back tie on a few feet of leader. I like to use big flat fish as a lure but spoons and most crank baits can also be used. Experiment with weights and length so that you keep in touch with the bottom.

Try using a three way swivel. off the bottom a dropper line with a bell sinker

Good idea! That didn't come to mind.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that with lake trout fishing, if you're trolling in the summer, you have to have a lot of patience. It takes considerable time to get a lure down to their depth and set up a proper troll (unless you're rigging), and often you will troll for hours with very little return. I've tried both rigging and wire line, and I've had better success with wire line, mainly, I think, because you're in frequent contact with the bottom.

I just got back from a great Lake Trout lake (posts coming), JohnF was right, most of the fish were hanging around the 40-60 foot zone with the surface temps in the high 68's

We were trolling through them with riggers, the only way we started getting them was putting the line back about 100 foot and trolling the ball right through them.

Jigging could be tough as you would be hard pressed to stay stationarly. I would try a lead pencil weight and a williams. There would be less drag and more depth.

The dippsy would work if you have the bigger ones and lots of line.

Good luck!

LeXX