Takin' Raptor Ball

laszlo

I was wondering what some of you basketball fans out there

(not too sure how many of you there are) think of the up coming Raptors season???

Let's say the starters are going to be:

PG - Jose Calderon

SG - Carlos Delfino

SF - Hedo Turkoglu

PF - Chris Bosh

C - Andrea Bargarni

and the bench being:

PG - Roko Ukic

SG - Demar Derozen

SF - Devon George

PF - Reggie Evans

C - Rasho Nesterovic (this signing isn't done but i heard it may happen)

Will this be enough to get into the post season and if so how far do you think they can go?

Edited by laszlo

There are few question marks with this team.

I don't think Bargnani is big enough to play a center, Bosh is better suited for that position or Rasho if they signed him. Calderon struggled to stay with guards last year, if his D can improve then they will be that much better. Problem is when your guard gets beat of dribble the whole defense collapses and has to rotate and raptors struggled heavily with that last year, i don't know in how many games last year they allowed a team to score 100 points and its hard to win when you consistently have to score 100 points or more.

Bargnani is getting a new contract, 5 years for about 50 mill, he has had one half of a season where he has impressed me, so you dont know what you are going to get out of him once the teams figure him out. HOw is he going to adjust to defenses adjusting to him.

On the paper they look good enough to fight for 6-7-8 spot in the east.

I agree with everything you have said Marko except for the size thing. How is Bargnani not big enough at 7'1" and 280lbs but Bosh is at 6'10" 250lbs?? Confused.

I actually think that Bargs one on one Defense is VERY underrated. He does need to get better on help D for sure.

As for the roster....assuming Indiana doesnt match the Jack contract offer sheet, Delfino is back and Rasho is also back (this is what I assume will happen) then the biggest hole is the backup SF position. George is not good enough to play major minutes at that spot. Either way, this team will have the best starting 5 in a long time as well as a solid bench if Derozan can contribute (based on 2 summer league games he should show flashes).

Anyway, I am pumped about the moves this offseason and outside of Cle, Orl, Bos I dont think that there is a 4th team that is clearly better then the raps in the east. It will come down to injuries and coaching.

Cudos for starting a raps topic....I hate how there are always leafs ones and never Raptors.

With that lineup I see us finishing 6th-8th, and maybe going past round one. Hedo is a huge plus, there are still some big gaps, but I'm happy its a new roster, something different to watch at least... hopefully for the better.

Barg's 1on1 D is alright when he playing against another Centre, I guess, but he's not that great for anyone who has some speed and I still think that he commits stupid fouls sometimes... that either get him into foul trouble or give up easy points. He did improve though and I hope it would continue.

hated to see AP go... have enjoyed watching him and all his fadeaways ... but I think it's a move that we have to make ... it hasn't been working for the last few seasons.

I'm a Raptor's fan, but I don't think they'll do all that great again this year. Heard they are looking into signin Jarod Jack, solid backup at point, and Klieza, he's pretty good too at the 3 or 4. Thankfully they are in a weak conference, so they may just make the playoffs. Biggest I see with this team is they are soft, and no real post players. Both Bosh and Andrea are face to the basket players with little post game. But am glad they signed Hedo! I was imaging him being a Raptor during the playoffs, and here he is. Just a matter if he can be consistent with his new fat contract.

They have Bargnani listed at 7 feet tall and 250, and Bosh is even smaller. LIke mentioned in the post above both of those guys are face the basket guys, they`ll shoot before they go down low and post up and try to muscle their way in there.

I guess thats the direction they`ll go in, still think it should be good enough for that last spot or two.

• 2 weeks later...

so now that the raptors have signed jarred jack and rasho nesterovic (today hot off the press)

what do you think of their up coming season???

i'm hoping they can still sign carlos delfino and i say if they do then they have a roster

that can make the playoffs. the question is... can they make it to the second round?

first off carlos delfino and rasho suck. The Raps should not sign these guys rasho plainly sucks and delfino had a terrible year over in Europe

the starters should be

pg. Calderon

sg. Derozen

sf. Turkoglu

pf. Bosh

c. Bargs

Bench

1- Jack

2- Evans

3- George

4- Ukic (everyone says he sucks but I truly think that he could be the next Calderon)

5- Paps (if he re-signs)

anyone i missed that are the bench will not play much time so i dont pay much attention to them

• 3 months later...

So it's a few games into the season now and I'm wondering what some of you basketball fans think of the Raps so far.

With all the new players, I would be satisfied if they went 10 wins 10 loses for the first 20 games of the season knowing

they are only going to improve.

I predict they'll make the playoffs but lose again in the first round. Finish the season 7th or 8th in the east.

Thoughts please...

it's still early to make any predictions ... but i'll comment on what i see so far

good things

1) bosh is finally playing like an all star, I think he's within top 5 of the league for ppg, rebs and FTA

2) barg also improved quite a bit, more confidence, less stupid fouls

3) I'm liking the defense from amir johnson and wright

bad things

1) can't close games

2) personally I find that they don't go to a player when they're hot ... in one game I remember barg + turkolu each had their moments, but they never got the ball back to their hands

3) wright needs to know that he's a defensive player and is not a major offensive force ... multiple times i saw bosh/barg calling for the ball but he decided to drive in himself, and on most cases he missed/turned it over

It's still early so there's plenty of time to get more chemistry going ... i'm also curious to see what will happen when reggie evans comes back. It is kind of disappointing to see them lose to both Magic and Spurs without some of their starters (lewis + VC for magic and TD + TP for spurs).

I was a big fan back when.When they played for the game and not the big cash contracts.Just like all the sports these days.Ok,who wants me,how much you got to offer?

You dont have to look far to make my comment true.

IT,S ABOUT THE MONEY NOW.

Now as for the Raps,they can play a solid 3,but,and I mean a big but,they seem to get fridget in the forth.Closing as you guys call it.Like the leafs with a 5 goal lead and blowing it.

Im a defence kinda guy.Protect your own,then capitalize when the moment sees it.

Yes they will make the playoffs,but thats it. They are entertaining to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

After an absolutely horrible looking effort against the Bobcats, I'm in fear of tonights game.

Boston is playing well and if the Raps don't come out with the right mind set we may be watching

another blow out.

Let's pull it together guys!