Manitulin Ferry

HTHM

I just got off the phone telling Wayne's sister-in-law that we will not be coming to her resort on Manatulin Island due to the fact that it would have cost us $123.00 x 2 to take the ferry :glare: . I wonder if that has a large impact on the tourism industry up there. That is a large chunk of our vacation budget spent on transportaion costs.

I am quite disappointed that we cannot go as it seemed like a very nice place to visit.

We are already going to be camping at the very tip of the Bruce, (Cypress lake national park) and need to meet my brother at Pinery for the balance of the week. So that would be a full day of driving around Georgian Bay, not the way I want to spend my vacation. Granted it is a beautiful drive!

I get about $69 for 2 people (and vehicle), one way. There and back - $138. (see below)

I've been on ferries all over (BC, NS, PEI etc.) and they're not particularly cheap anywhere.

Che-Cheemaun is a nice ride, and it would save a fair bit of time, especially if you'd be up on the Bruce already.

chicheemaun.JPG

Edited by Jocko

We do the walkon thing and get my brother-in-law to pick us up at the terminal. That's peanuts. Fortunately his place is only a few miles from the terminal (Watson's Camp)

With a herd of people and a trailer it can get pricey, but I've done the trip up and around and the ferry will have to get a whole bunch pricier before I start doing that drive.

JF

Amazingly enough, we have decided to go afterall. Confirmed reservations and everything. Now the only challenge is getting the family up on time for a 7 am sailing. Should be fun!

Don't be late! It is a very boring morning when you have to wait 4 hours for the next one :angry:

Amazingly enough, we have decided to go afterall. Confirmed reservations and everything. Now the only challenge is getting the family up on time for a 7 am sailing. Should be fun!

Did they tell you to be there in line at 6am. If you're near there the night before park the car in line and then you don't have to worry about getting on the first boat. You can make reservations for some of the boats but I'm not sure about the first one each morning.

JF

"Hey thanks, Jocko. I guess I got the wrong information."

That's kind of what I thought you might say. ;):D

I thought you were talking about you and your wife, but even for a family of 4 it's still only about $89 (or less, depending on the age of the kids) - unless you've got a motor home. If that's the case, it's still not unreasonable.

Edited by Jocko

That's kind of what I thought you might say. ;):D

I thought you were talking about you and your wife, but even for a family of 4 it's still only about $89 (or less, depending on the age of the kids) - unless you've got a motor home. If that's the case, it's still not unreasonable.

I stand by my estimate of the fee as I got that straight from the ferry's contact line. We have extended our stay on the island in order to justify the added expense of the ferry ride. We are driving back.

OK, could be there was some mis-communication on the phone, though.

Here's the site for the ferry, with full details...

http://www.chicheemaun.com/chi/english/schedule_fares.html

Thanks for the link.

I felt I was quite clear as to what I was driving and pulling, however I will find out upon arrival what the fare will actually be. No biggie, we're doing it regardless.

I felt I was quite clear as to what I was driving and pulling,

You didn't mention you were pulling a trailer. That'll cost extra, of course. Ferries always go by length and height once you exceed a standard car/SUV/pickup.

Anyway, enjoy your trip. There's some great scenery up that way. If you have kids along with you, and you have the time, you might want to try pulling over on one of the wide curves just after you get over the Little Current bridge, heading to Espanola. IIRC the shoulder is wide. You can easily pick up some very early fossils there - Devonian or Silurian I think - simple shells, etc. from the limestone strata right beside the highway.