Sea foam?

Cookslav

I ask because I've heard it works wonders on older outboards with starting, and stalling idle issues.

CDN Tire doesn't cary it, and the closest marine shop that does is a city away...

Chatting with the good folks at CDN Tire and my Auto Mechanic on seperate occasions...I was told STP has a pretty good product that works well and is perfectly safe for all gasoline engines mixed or not....

So is it really worth the $5 in gas + the extra $5 in price to by the Sea foam, or should I give the STP a run?

Any experiences pro's/con's?

Just thinking I can treat my motor twice as much for the same price with STP

"IF" the STP is any good of course...

A Rage or whatever.. <_< I would just say it works (period). It's about $11 or so for a 500ml can at Carquest. No, CTC or many others don't carry it, I don't know why. Honestly I was a bit sceptacle at first, I've got an Argo where the engine ran like a septic tank full of you know what. After one heathy dose of the Seafoam and letting it run for 20 minutes or so, (smoked & sputtered for a bit) finally cleared out whatever crud was in the carb, put in a new filter and since then it's been running fine. At first, it would never idle properly or die out at speed. None of that anymore. I've read many others on other sites dealing with lawnmowers, outboards, generators, etc, that swear by it.

Talking with the good folks at CTC... :rolleyes: , oookkkaaaayyyyy, I might let them check the air pressure on my wheelbarrow, but that's about it. If it didn't work for me, I would be the first to say otherwise, I hate seeing people waste money or getting sucked in on crud that doesn't work.

I used it in my outboard, just mixed in with the gas. Noticed improvement in delayed starting.

A great way to use it is to mix a small separate can at least 1/2 and 1/2 with gas. Run the motor under load, not just at idle. Apparently it will clear out a whole bunch of carbon buildup, not to mention free up the carbs a bit as well.

To get it in the cylinders, you can use a spray can and spray it right in through the plug holes.

A good technique would be to spray some in your plug holes, leave overnight. Next day, take the mixed can and by-pass your main tank. Take it out on the lake and giver a good run uneil the can is gone. Switch back to your main tank to get back to the ramp.

Very impressed with how it worked for me.Both outboards run way better,neither has been serviced for a while.I bought mine at Ideal Supply bout 12 bucks total.Worth every penny.Will use the same for my sled come the season.

Kerry

It works period.

I sell at least 4 cans of the stuff every day...

Better than anything else by far..Garages buy it by the case..

I had it on sale for 8.99$ just went back up to 11.49$

People walk in and that's all they want.

Not only to they make the auto & marine stuff they also have a spray form and a tranny additive ..

SF16...is the "SEAFOAM" that everybody wants..does every thing... fuel stabilizer ..anti-gel..carb clean.. crank case clean..exhaust system clean "O2 sensors"..valve medic..ect...our Kleen Flo and GUNK sales reps really don't like the stuff.

DC14..."DEEP CREEP" is a spray version of the SF16 but with a little more

TT16 "TRANS TUNE" will stop shudders and hard shifting.

I'm sold on the stuff and use it in ALL my engines including diesel ..I add it to my crankcase 1000K's before an oil change....

I sell it to myself that's how much I'm sold on it.

Randy.

:canadian:

My 15 Hp merc has a weak spot in the carb, where if you hold it on that one spot on the trottle during acceleration, it will stall out.

Will it cure that? My mechanic didn't... (i think I need a new mechanic)

did seafoam on my car, smokes like crazy, didnt gain any hp but now it idles in lower rpms.

dont know if you can do same procedure on boat engine, but on car was:

1/3 can in the gas tank

1/3 can in the oil

1/3 sucked brake booster (can be done through injector aswell)

deffinetly works.

If you go to the web site and look up the data sheet, the ingredients include naptha gas, kerosene and another petroleum distillate if memory serves me correctly. Then you can decide if it's safe for sensors, valves, piston heads etc. - or make your own. There is just no getting around good regular maintenance.

To decarb you're motor.

¾ Gal. of gas, 3 oz. of oil and 16 oz. of Seafoam. Use a 1 gallon gas jug.

Run the engine 15 minutes on the Seafoam, then shut it down and let it sit for another 15 minutes. Restart the engine; the smoke you see is the carbon burning off. Do the whole thing again and let her sit again for 15 more minutes. If she smokes after the second time do it again.

Jeff.

Edited by wvmedic

Great product,it's real value isn't in de-carbing (which it does but any engine tuner product can do that) it's in maintaining proper injector flow thus reducing the chance of running lean due to a clogged injector and BOOM! and preventing future piston/ring carbon build up and resulting cylinder scuffing due to rings sticking.I have watched the carbon disappear from my prop barrel after using it and everyone that uses it claims improved idle quality.

I use SeaFoam and it works great if your carbs are not full of gunk and the jets are not closed off. It is good for minor varnish but will not remove insolubles from your fuel system. Their is nothing like removing and cleaning all of the orifices and passages to get a motor running correctly.

Art

Count me in a a supporter too ... used it on both outboards ... smoked like pigs but when it all cleared, they have not run this good in years.

Go to this thread and read how they use it ... that is what I did in the outboards.

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/007656.html

Very much worth the read, I use it in my car, gas mower and gas trimmer too ... worked well in all cases.