Deadly storm at Lac Seul

tjsa

I know Ben Beattie and Limeyangler are not near where this happened, but they are not that far away. Please chime in guys to let us know you are OK.

Condolences to the families for the loss of their loved ones.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/top_story.php?id=198046

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=60688

Edited by tjsa

Thanks tjsa. This is the first i have heard of it.

Any more details? How were they killed?

"Police confirmed that two people have died from injuries sustained during that storm, while another five people received treatment for minor injuries."

the weather network was reporting it as a tornado touch down but the local radio station up here is saying that environment canada is coming up to verify that fact.

the news is reporting two cabins destroyed and one article I say said the victims were from Oklahoma and 2 bodies were recovered several meters from shore, 1 person is stil missing.

Thanks tjsa. This is the first i have heard of it.

Any more details? How were they killed?

"Police confirmed that two people have died from injuries sustained during that storm, while another five people received treatment for minor injuries."

thats all I know of right now, if further info surfaces on this, I will add it to this thread.

What grt1 said may be the best explanation, we do get occasional tornadoes up here, but nothing like in the US. they are much smaller, localized, but quite powerful nontheless.

Dang,

Thats a Tornado no doubt...

A shame that 2 potentialy 3 have died, My deepest sypmathies to the Families.

Not much you can do in a cabin when one of those come roaring down on you.

A tub "might" sheild you from debris, but when it tears the place apart like that...all you can do is cross your fingers

This happened on the west end of Lac Seul, near Ear Falls, about 100km from where I live and work (on the east end of LS).

It is absolutely mind boggling to consider that a tornado picked up a cabin with 2 people in it and tossed it into Lac Seul. Up here there's so much more area with nothing but trees and water and to think it went right through that camp is unbelievable.

There was certainly some nasty weather up here yesterday. High winds and big thunder heads all around. I got off the lake early, around 3pm.

We have an event on Centenial Lake and I just looked at the radar and some nasty large storms are heading to the southeast and it is not a matter of if but when they arrive. We will seek shelter if one blows up and then go back out after. Hope its not to nasty. Though I do love storms.

By the way our event is the 4th of ten this year by a new club we started up called the ORWL, Ottawa region walleye league. We are about the preservation and education about walleye. Our events are tottaly catch and release and on the honour system. The main thing is a no preassure and fun. We have 35 members so far which is very good for a new thing. If anyone in the Ottawa area is interested in this let me know.

Guest steel'n'esox

Apparently it was a confirmed F2 tornado that hit LS, and ironic as one thread mentioned that the Oklahoma anglers probably have dodged tornados for most of their lives only to lose their lives by one in Ontario, condolences to all involved

living here in kansas i've spent many hours hunkered down in the basment waiting a tornado warning out. not fun. how sad for those men, familys, and lodge owners. i've also driven on 105 when one of those storms hit. frightening