Lake St.Clair

I have finally found the time to visit my brother down in Belle River and rumor has it there is a fish or two swimming around in St.Clair.

Just looking for some general info on baits and tactics to use on the "hump" will be targeting smallies and maybe some eyes and info on the launch in Belle River.

I have a boat that is just shy of 17 feet with a 90" beam just wondering if this lake is like Simcoe with respect to the wind and wave action.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

I have finally found the time to visit my brother down in Belle River and rumor has it there is a fish or two swimming around in St.Clair.

Just looking for some general info on baits and tactics to use on the "hump" will be targeting smallies and maybe some eyes and info on the launch in Belle River.

I have a boat that is just shy of 17 feet with a 90" beam just wondering if this lake is like Simcoe with respect to the wind and wave action.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

If you're coming to the hump, it might be worth your while to try and target a musky or two while you're at it. I caught my personal best just west of the hump early last August. 53 3/4 inch and 37.25lbs. She's in my avatar. Though the size may be larger elsewhere...ie GBay, Ottawa or the St. Lawrence Rivers, you will be hard pressed to find a healthier natural Musky fishery than LSC. The regulars have ensured it's virtually 100% catch and release.

Regarding the lake itself, you should be OK with a boat that size on the hump. I've seen folks in smaller, but always felt they were taking more of a chance than I'd be prepared to out there. The hump is a lot further out from the marina than it looks! However I'd strongly recommend you listen to or bring a marine weather radio and keep a constant look to the western horizon for thunder boomers forming at this time of year.

LSC averages 11 feet deep. Typical depths around the hump vary from 11-15 feet. I've witnessed that lake go from calm conditions to four - five footers in less than an hour of steady westerly winds... and drop back to calm almost as quickly.

Unlike Simcoe, which is fairly deep....think of LSC as the world's largest puddle, picture a kid splashing in it and presto, you have a good perspective of a very windy day out there. When it's relatively calm, it is simply beautiful.

By the way, it is not uncommon to have a nice walleye hit 6-8 inch musky lures trolling at over 4 mph on LSC. I caught a beautiful 4-5 lb one a while back.

As long as you respect the lake and keep your eyes open you should be fine! Enjoy and be sure to post your conquests!!!

Edited by bje

hi watch winds. you can trailr anywhere to use winds to your advantage. north east is the worst for belle river. once you get going the lake has master angler species everywhere.. hot spots now are the hump and weedbeds just east in 17-19 ft to the rusvcom river. be prepared to see muskies.

• 3 weeks later...

Well no report because we didn`t end up going, instead ended up rushing the wife to the hospital with what turned out to be a perforated colon.

So if anybody tells you a colonoscopy is routine and there is nothing to worry about don`t you belive it.

What my wife thought was a little gas or cramping after the procedure was not and turned into a serious emergency.

All is okay now!

Well no report because we didn`t end up going, instead ended up rushing the wife to the hospital with what turned out to be a perforated colon.

So if anybody tells you a colonoscopy is routine and there is nothing to worry about don`t you belive it.

What my wife thought was a little gas or cramping after the procedure was not and turned into a serious emergency.

All is okay now!

Ouch.... Thats no good... Glad everything is ok !

Sucks that you couldn't make it down ! St. Clair is a great spot.

Glad to hear every thing is OK not trying to steer any one away from here but before I went to St Clair for the 1st time I visited this site & contacted the store, I forget the ladies name but she was very helpful & had us on fish right away http://www.basshavencanada.com/ We ended up using there ramp & fishing Mitchel's Bay area but she knew what was going on & the people on the site were helpful too, in case you get a chance to go again or any one else does, we caught smbass, lmbass, perch, pike, bluegill & lost a musky at boat side

Tight Lines Richard