Went pickerel fishing - Caught a 40" Musky

NAW

I beg to differ.....I think it works better on the large ones than the small ones....Usually at boat side our fish are cradled but if no net or your by yourself,you got to do something....Even in the cradle or muskie net all heck can brake loose. Hooks getting caught in the mesh,in your flesh and anywhere else a big thrashing fish can drive them into so care must be taken.

I caught the fish in my avitar by myself and it was 50 inches. Tailed it, measured it,removed a large bait out of its mouth all at boat side in the water and then released it ..A good friend was passing by in his boat when he noticed I was battling the fish...He dropped in and took a few pics before she swam away...

Not to be argumentative, but in time you will find out the hard way. Tailing can work at times, but other times it will be a disaster, believe me.

Tail them with glove. Turn them UPSIDE DOWN next to the boat, fish will immediately stop dead.

This is another myth that I do not reccommend trying....it may work some of the time.....it's NEVER worked for me and I've tried it several times trying to subdue fish.

Get yourselves a large coated net, it is by far the best way to land large muskies. I handbombed muskies into the boat for 20 years using the Leech Lake Liplock and had only a few mishaps. Once I started to try these ideas about "tailing" and turning them upside down it caused nothing but grief for both the angler and the fish. Land 'em how you see fit, but any experienced muskie hunter will tell you to get a net.

A net seem like common since to me. However, the net that I currently own is about 30 years old, and I believe it would do more damage, then good. (please correct me if I’m wrong). It’s a very old, none coated net. Will this old net injure a fish if I use It??? I’ve posted a pic below, so you know what I’m talking about.

It's not in my budget to purchase a new coated net this year. I think I’ll try my best to avoid the Musky’s, until I can afford a good net, and some other important tools.

The last thing I want to do it injure one of these magnificent creatures. (Which I've already done, and don't feel too good about).