Best inline planer boards for musky ?

GbayGiant

Can't say I have trolled musky lures behind in lines, but I do recall watching Gerritt drag one of those salt water X Raps, the biggins, behind an Off Shore board with no ill affect to the board at all. His arm was a little sore reeling that thing in 200ft! :o

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread for a more experienced reply.

HH

Offshore boards are probably your best option with the appropriate release clips. It's your choice of course but I have no idea why someone would use planers for muskie. I also feel that with 200' of line out, you'll kill the muskie.

For what it's worth, it's my opinion.

i dont know what you mean by 'big' lures but if it's what i mean by 'big' lures then you will not find a inline board that will work - you'll need a mast setup. the drag of the lures is far too great.

gimme an example of what you're planning to troll behind the board.

Roy, I want to start using planner boards because I think I'll hook into more fish. I have a old loud, noisy motor and fish Georgian Bay in Crystal clear water so I think they will help ( I understand they hit baits in the prop wash but I find there real spooky up here ) . I can't find the link anymore but theres a guy that's been counting fish trolling Georgian bay with planner rods and down rods and he claims in the last 5 years 90% of the fish hit the planner board lines, and we know it works on St. Clair. Also I have a narrow boat the only way I could troll 3 rods comfortably would be with boards but I don't need 200 feet probably more around 100, anyway I think the muskies will be fine.

Raf, I had a feeling they didn't make any for Talonz or any of the huge shad deep divers, but I was thinking 10" believers, 10" jakes ect. ? I know lot's of guys use in line planners I just need to know what's best suited.

remember, the guys on LSC typically run tiny/light pulling baits by muskie fishn standards. you'd be able to pull super shad raps, woodies, small jakes & believers but I think the 10" models would be too much. the 10" believer pulls pretty hard and would just suck those boards right back.

never hurts to try.. boards are a pretty good tool even if you dont get to use them for muskie fishn. the offshores seem to be favoured by many.

Thanks Raf, yeah I got some nice woodie type st. clair style baits and the salmo skinners should be good too in shallow. So I found this link Planer musky he uses these "Offshore Tackle OR-30 Muskie Release Clips (These even hold 13” Believers)" but he makes his own boards and has a planer mast. So my question now there any store bought inline planer boards I can get to add these clips on ?

Offshore boards are probably your best option with the appropriate release clips. It's your choice of course but I have no idea why someone would use planers for muskie. I also feel that with 200' of line out, you'll kill the muskie.

For what it's worth, it's my opinion.

I agree with Roy...

For what it's worth it's my opinion too.

There should be no need for planer boards while fishing Muskie.

Most strikes happen close to the boat anyway...

My line is out ..maximum 1 full cast behind the boat or preferably closer.

For what it's worth this is my opinion.

RFS

:canadian:

That's not the case for me, I've personally raised some monsters here that got spooked by my trolling motor prop so It can only help if anything. I can see this is turning into a musky bible school like most musky threads do, I don't need another lecture on musky survival techniques. I'm not worried that the fish will die if I was I wouldn't do it.

I don't want a Internet fight either, all I asked was for a planer board that will work for big baits? not another survival techniques lecture or how far out line needs to be. Sorry, I'm just tired of it, I've been fishing muskies for a long time now I know the basics, thanks.

That's not the case for me, I've personally raised some monsters here that got spooked by my trolling motor prop so It can only help if anything. I can see this is turning into a musky bible school like most musky threads do, I don't need another lecture on musky survival techniques. I'm not worried that the fish will die if I was I wouldn't do it.

I don't want a Internet fight either, all I asked was for a planer board that will work for big baits? not another survival techniques lecture or how far out line needs to be. Sorry, I'm just tired of it, I've been fishing muskies for a long time now I know the basics, thanks.

Sorry dude, I hadn't read the following post ... you were dealing with G Bay gin clean waters.... .

... your circumstances are different.

I've seen a few anglers that use planer boards in a different way... set it up off of a modified downrigger with a quick release so when " the fight is on" you're not bothered with the weight of the board .

A Muskie angler deserves respect most usually know what they are doing, and I apologize.. I don't want an Internet fight either.

RFS

No worries Randy, I got my panties in a bunch, I know you know your stuff.

I've seen a few anglers that use planer boards in a different way... set it up off of a modified downrigger with a quick release so when " the fight is on" you're not bothered with the weight of the board .

That's a good idea,I'd like too see that set-up.

Edited by GbayGiant

i dont know what you mean by 'big' lures but if it's what i mean by 'big' lures then you will not find a inline board that will work - you'll need a mast setup. the drag of the lures is far too great.

gimme an example of what you're planning to troll behind the board.

absolutely right. The biggest crankbait you could use on a big off-shore board would be shallow runners. big baits that go deep will bring your board with them, it's that hard. If you find it uncomfortable to hold to the rod with a lure on, odds are the planner wont work well, or at all.

But you can troll spinner baits (not big cowgirls they pull too much) and bucktails using planners. It get's your lures over cover where you would not want to put your prop into. But in that case.. go cast the spot for a more effective cover. For me trolling is such a precise application that using planners would just mean that lures on the outside would be off and dirty. When it's a trolling bite, hugging the tructure is so key, without going over too much, or being too far off it, so unless you are looking for suspended fish over big water and can have multiple rods per anglers with a few anglers in the boat.. ok you will cover some ground... but that's about it.

Everyone does their own thing I guess, so try the biggest boards you can find and troll some lures, see what happens.

I agree with Roy...

RFS

:canadian:

That's not the case in every waters. Although some places only require a foot behind the prop wash, some areas require very long lines(hundred+) in order to get the big fish to move, and the fish are released just as well as any other, its about how you treat em when you get them at the boat, read the signs before you pull em out of the water and use the proper gear so you can keep the fight short and you will have no problems.

To contradict myself a little bit... I would not long line troll muskies when water temps are very warm on very very hot days..

I think the Offshores with the upgraded locking clip would work for most of the baits you will be pulling. As mentioned in my earlier post, musky is typically not my thing... but having said that, I can recall times where Pickereye fishing I have dragged a 2 pounder around for god only knows how long, with very little apparent affect to the off shores. :wallbash:

I don't have large musky lure experience, but I have dragged a Manns Stretch 30 behind Offshores with no ill affect at all (except my arm reeling the darn thing in)

I think you will do just fine with Offshores.

For your specific applications, clear water, I think boards would be ideal. You can match your depth and get those baits away from the boat. Let us know how you make out!?

HH

another thing to keep in mind, gbay fishing is not at all like lsc fishing where they are on open water - an application perfectly suited to boards. to consistently catch fish on the bay, you generally have to be on the structure, banging away on the rocks & weeds. having a board would just make that a headache, imo. unless you want to venture into the world of topwater trolling ;). but give her a whirl (and sell me those boards after for spring trout fishing ;) )

HH, a 10" believer fights way better than any 2lb walleye :D & there's no comparison between a stretch 30.

Edited by Raf

Raf, no arguments from me re the Believer, I have a smaller one, but have you ever fished a Stretch 30? Nasty hard pull for sure. At 11 inches in length and a bill that's almost half the size of the lure, she digs pretty good!LOL

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Thanks boys, yeah I'll let you know if I get anything going. I already have the locations picked out for the boards that's why I want some in the first place, I know there not the best presentation for a lot of things, lol. I cast a lot too for the tight spot on spot locations , this will just be another weapon in the arsenal. I have some large 8-10' weed flats, sprawling gradual sloping shoals and a river or just follow a shoreline in mind where I would use them. I'm looking into these mini 3 foot masts that plug into the seat hole now might be a better option. Stealth is the key motivation hear, I want to creep up on these muskies like a Ninja:ph34r:

Edited by GbayGiant

• 3 years later...

I think the Offshores with the upgraded locking clip would work for most of the baits you will be pulling. As mentioned in my earlier post, musky is typically not my thing... but having said that, I can recall times where Pickereye fishing I have dragged a 2 pounder around for god only knows how long, with very little apparent affect to the off shores. wallbash.gif

x2

last season out of burwell i was using dipseys with mono (i know better now and use braid) off my homemade boards and hooked a big walleye, but the dipsy didn't release. it was my first trip out experimenting with clothes pin and rubber band releases. that didn't release either as it was clearly too tight so i was dragging a dipsey with that big fish and the board wasn't back far enough for me to even notice something was up. i landed a couple measured 28" fish that day and actually managed to get this big one close enough to the boat for a peak before it got off.

build your own if you have to. when looking for ideas for mine i saw a bunch of salt water guys building planer boards that had 3-4 boards joined together for the heavy stuff. just make sure your mast and anchor point is heavy duty with some cable reinforcements....

hi. i highly recomend large board and mast system.yes muskys hit boatside but motor noise spooks fish off to the sides.big boards run midship,not back behind.small boards have that tendency when lure loaded.here another tip. you can run and depth control a deeper diver by line out from clip. many many big fish cruise hi feeding on bait.i have run boards from the ottawa to st clair my home waters. scotty makes great clips. many guys use cheep caebiner clips for holding/sliding down the main tow line. boards are deadly on salmon/walleyes and mooskies. .also good running boards will not dive in waves like small boards. personaly boards outfish boat rods 5-1.boards were introduced here in the great lakes in the mid 70,s..they came from the west coast salmon trollers.....hope this helps...

We used planer boards on a Musky charter I went on in Lighthouse Cove, Lake St.Clair. Our lines were all set within 40ft behind the boat! We caught a total of 8 Musky that day, with most of the fish being caught with the 12 - 20ft set rods! Planers seemed to work good, all fish were braught in fast for a quick picture and release. Yes I agree, if the lines were set at 200ft behind the boat, you would be releasing them to their death. But there are other ways to ensure that doesn't happen on planers.

I agree with Roy...

RFS
canadian.gif

Edited by Pat C

I've sold a few of the Large Church 44 boards to some Musky guys on the St Lawrence and a few out west to some Pike guys.

Big water guys love them for Salmon and leadcore..

Edited by Harrison