Expired marine flare disposal

Landlocked

FYI:

OPP to take in old flares

Posted By THE SUN TIMES

Posted 1 day ago

The OPP and Transport Canada will be running a week-long marine flare disposal campaign next month throughout the province.

Boaters are encouraged to safely dispose of their unwanted, expired marine flares at any of the 165 OPP detachments in Ontario, including those in Grey and Bruce counties.

The OPP will turn the expired flares over to Transport Canada's Office of Boating Safety after which they will be taken to a certified disposal site.

The drop off will run the week of Aug. 1 -8.

Masons chandelry in Mississauga take them as well

Here is a thought though the law states that they can be no older then 4 years from manufacture it does not mean you cant keep them on your boat

in all reality they could last another 4 years or they might not work after 4

BUT

the older flares also come in handy as back ups more signalling power you have to use a bit of common dog as to when enough is enough but the older ones can still be useful

My 2 cents

You nailed BM... They found that the flares that are kept out of the humidity have a high success rate even if they are expired. I have 18 flares on board and hope I never need one of them but when the weather is bad and viability is minimum the more the merrier I say.

Art