Took my sister out to Scugog on the canoe...

frozen-fire

So, my sister has been asking me to take her fishing on the canoe for a while now.

Last week she went out to renew her license. She hasn't seriously fished before, just for fun while camping with friends. Figured this would be the perfect opportunity to get her hooked.

Even though the forecast called for light rain and slight winds, it seemed like an ideal day to go while we were still at home.

By the time we got to the lake, the skies had darkened and the wind picked up.

We launched and motored our way over to some fishable water.

I rigged her up with a 3" pink grub on a 1/4 oz jighead and she almost instantly landed a decent crappie...too bad it fell off the hook as it was being raised.

The weeds are EVERYWHERE. South end of Scugog is pretty choked up already. They started to frustrate her, so I then tied on a topwater so she could avoid most of the subsurface weeds.

I try to look for deeper pockets that were free of weeds. Ended close to the shoreline where it was very shallow, but was also free from weeds.

We started throwing some topwaters and she lands a small perch. Finally!

Fearing I would get skunked, I soon land a rockbass... followed by a few dink perch as well.

As we near the shoreline by the reeds, she tosses out her lure and watches as it wobbles back to the canoe. A feisty bass grabs it and the fight is on! Instinctively, she starts reeling in like no tomorrow. I tell her to take it easy and keep tension on the line! It comes to the boat and I unhook it for her.

Her biggest fish ever. She seemed pretty excited!

ppbass4.jpg

Right after her bass, I manage to catch a crappie about 2 feet away from shore. I was really surprised how shallow these fish were.

By now the rain had started to fall. I make a few quick casts towards some open water by a clump of weeds and managed to entice a bass to explode out of the water grabbing my lure.

Nothing huge, but at least we got into some fish for being out there an hour or so.

ppbass1.jpg

Wind picked up big time and it started to pour. We were forced to head back even though I wanted to stay a little longer hoping she'd get into a few more fish.

On the way home, she said that she was glad we got into some fish, otherwise it would've been horrible.

Hopefully the next outing, I can get her into numbers.

Way to go on getting your sister out there. Weeds frustrate the best of us. Good for her to stick it out. If a top water bass explosion doesn't get her hooked nothing will. She'll be asking for more for sure!!!

A couple of nice fish there.

wtg for bringing your sister out fishing with you...

glad to see she caught some fish too

you keep posting pics of her with bigger fish than you though, and pretty soon some of the young guns on this board are gonna be inviting her out to fish with them too ;)

(siya ay isang pretty pangingisda partner para sa ilang mga binata)

Great report Frozen-Fire. The front seat in that canoe is magical. I've taken at least a dozen non-fisherpeople out in that Sportspal and got them all hooked on fishing. Had many a great outing with my brother as well. Fishing with family is always the best. Glad it's still got some magic left in it.

Thanks for the comments guys... Fishing with family sure is great :)

wtg for bringing your sister out fishing with you...

glad to see she caught some fish too

you keep posting pics of her with bigger fish than you though, and pretty soon some of the young guns on this board are gonna be inviting her out to fish with them too ;)

(siya ay isang pretty pangingisda partner para sa ilang mga binata)

Totally don't understand what you typed in that last line haha!

Great report Frozen-Fire. The front seat in that canoe is magical. I've taken at least a dozen non-fisherpeople out in that Sportspal and got them all hooked on fishing. Had many a great outing with my brother as well. Fishing with family is always the best. Glad it's still got some magic left in it.

:D

Looks like you two had a good time! It's great that you took your sister out there with you...better tell your other fishing buddies to make room, because she's definitely gonna be hooked now. :P