Sign in to follow this  
sneak_e_pete

Balsam or Rice for Walleye - Suggestions?

Hello all. I will admit that I am totally green at fishing for walleye, but I was hoping to hit Balsam or Rice camping for a few days either the end of July or early August. I have several questions that I am hoping you can help me with. As info, I only have a 12 ft. aluminum with 6hp.

1. Which is better (and easier) to catch walleye?

2. Any recommendations? If Balsam, I was thinking the provincial park near Coboconk?

3. Suggestions on what to use? All I know to do is to troll Eerie Deeries or jerk baits along the weed lines.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have only fished those lakes once or twice but if I had to choose, Balsam, Rice gets a lot of pressure during the summer. There are others here who can probably offer better advice but here goes anyway...my default when fishing unknown waters.......1/4 jig head, twister tail grub and small piece of worm.

" ..my default when fishing unknown waters.......1/4 jig head, twister tail grub and small piece of worm. "

I heard that twice today!

Guess it works...

Thanks.

Are there good spots close to Balsam Provincial Park?

Also, when fishing a jig and grub, are you just jigging it slowly along weed edges?

Bly got it right and I'll add start right out front of the park and work the outer edge of the weedbeds from the opposite end of the swimming area to the canoe launch at the far end.Pay attention to the dropoffs and evenings do pay off for that approach.If you want to troll or cast stick with perch patterned Xraps or regular rapalas or stick baits.Keep them ticking near or over the weeds.Might not hurt to run a thin wire leader as musky like to ply the same water.

Your boat and motor combo is perfectly fine,the most you need to be from shore is 2-300 yds anywhere on that stretch to hit the drop offs.

Anyway just beware there are slot sizes and different limits on Balsam/Mitchell Lakes.Good luck on your camping/fishing and post up some pics!

Kerry

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this