Hammer Whistletrout

CLofchik

Ah the poor whistletrout, sheepshead, the much maligned freshwater drum........

I have to say I've been having a blast the last few weeks playing with the huge numbers of these things that are around Hamilton Bay, been dinging them pretty much everywhere there's deep water, though Pier 8 has been the most productive. They put up a good fight, are stupid easy to catch and can top out at 20lbs. What more do you want from an easy summer fish?

Deep diver shad cranks have been my steadiest bait, with shallow running white cranks working after the sun starts to go down and they come up shallow. Give the whistletrout a shot, they've been putting up better scraps than bass or even carp.

HammerTown002.jpg

HammerTown003.jpg

HammerTown004.jpg

Bait is coming in at night to spawn so thick I'm snagging alewives on my crankbaits, good sign for Lake O baitfish numbers.

HammerTown005.jpg

Nice drum. It was good to meet you today and shoot the breeze for a while. Sheepies fighting harder than carp! :o Ha, I don't know about that. I got one about 10, a carp of course, and had a little crowd watch the battle. I don't think I have ever seen sheephead do that. :)

Ya I agree. Never heard of anyone fishing for alewives before. :P

Lol, I think more people fish for alewives than the mighty drum (herring is apparently getting scarce in Ontario, so alot of trollers are switching over to alewives in their meat rigs).

It's odd, people fish for their cousin in saltwater, even consider them a great food fish. But the poor freshwater drum is the Rodney Dangerfield of big water sportfish.....they just get no respect.

didmenico_V_05282006_574x767.jpg

'course........I can't quite get up the courage to eat one out of Hamilton.....

i do agree though, they certainly get the adrenaline going when they are digging hard toward the bottom and you imagine what you may have hooked into. But i will say that it is disappointing to say the least when i see that silver flash coming up to the boat. It is funny hearing it every time it happens...........Ahhhhhhhhh! Its just a flippin sheephead!!!!!!!

If you're gonna let bass go all day long, and you're obviously gonna let sheepies go all day long...may as well go for the bigger, harder fighting fish. Assuming, of course, you're stuck in the city and have nothing better to do...I don't think I'd trade a trip up to the cottage for standing on the pier. Nice fish, CL...thanks for posting the Drum in a new light :lol:

Good stuff mang! I'm glad to see some others are having fun catching sheephead, I love catching them. I have no idea why anyone would complain about catching one. Fight just as hard as any bass of similar size.