Car Heating Issues: DIAGNOSIS (NF)

T-Bone

Well, here's what I found out regarding my car with the heating problems from the NF post I had last week titled 'Auto Insights Needed'.

Once again, I'd like to thank all of you for your insights and opinions regarding my auto heating issues. In total, you were all right, in a way.

It turned out I was a bit low on coolant, but not much. It could have been from leakage, but it seems I just topped it off recently. Anyway, the official diagnosis was a bad left head gasket. I guess this has been a consistent issue with Subaru Outbacks....especially this model year.

So, as part of this repair, I’ll get a new left head gasket, new head bolts, head machining (if necessary), new valve cover gaskets, new left intake gasket, new timing belt, new thermostat, radiator flush and fill, oil/lube/filter. They can’t even get the parts needed until Thursday, as accordingly to Subaru “there is a run on head gaskets for that engine right now”. Maybe there will be a recall or something and I can get reimbursed. I doubt it though. I’ll get all this done, and it'll be my luck that the right one will blow.

Oh well, so it goes. In the grand scheme of things, this really isn't anything I'll get too upset over. There are a lot worse things that can happen on any given day...a lot worse.

Thanks again all...

get them to replace the water pump too. they are already in there doing the headgasket so the labour is paid for. pump itself should not be expensive. it's good practise in my mind to replace the water pump at the same time you do the timing belt.