Marten River/Marten Lake

Ksword

Hi all:

Headin to Marten River PP for a annual camping trip next week. We have fished there in the past with limited success - a few small pike and a sm bass or two..

We fished the river between the park and Beaver Land lodge, and then in Marten Lake in the bay on the SW end of the lake (just south of the bridge).

Anyone local have any suggestions as to where to start for better luck with SM Bass/pickeral? Not looking for anyones secret spots, but more like some places to start.

Seemed that the Marten river gets a lot of pressure, and we would likely have more luck in the lake???

Also..from a map, it would appear that one could access Red Cedar lake by boat from Marten river - perhaps that is another option?

Any help would be appreciated..

I haven't fished the Marten River itself...fished Marten Lake a llloonnnggg time ago...pretty good sized lake, clear, deep, pretty classic smallmouth structure. I would definitely be hitting up any of the back lakes you can access easily..the further off the beaten trail the better.

We have a cottage on Little Martin Lake, been going there for 9 years and "limited success" are key words. But with that said we are only there in late august and i may not be the best fisherman in the world either.

I spend a lot of time on McFee and Bruce Lake's. One i have always wanted to try is Wicksteed, i have lots of good stories about decent catches coming out of there, my boat is just too big to get in there with. Someday i am going to get a small aluminum and try it.

I picked up a map once and i'm not sure it wasn't from Beaverland Camp or Trappers trading post. It showed many of the popular spots for fishing and where the rocks are. It was remarkably accurate on its fishing locations.

I have only been under the highway once so i cant help you much on that end of the lake.

Just got back from Red cedar lake. Fishing was very slow. Fished the mouth of the Martin river into Red cedar with negative results. Fished from 7am to 9pm every day taking a break in the afternoon. Only caught 4 pics, 1 small mouth and two pike. Other people at the camp were catching nothing. all pics came on a jig and gulp grubs(white). Weather was poor with rain every day.

Thanks for all the input.

Indy- I think I found the map you refer to on the Beaverland web site..

Will give them a try - At least it is a place to start. There is a lot of water between the dam at 64 and the Bruce/Mcfee lake!!

We leave for Marten River Wed AM - will let you know how we make out!

Ken