Grand River Bass Derby

jediangler

Anyone know what the final results were? I didn't get a single bass all weekend. I got a nice whopper tonight though! A bit over 17" I'm curious where it would have placed.

Also, what do the tags look like that they were putting in the fish? I didn't see anything on this guy:

big_smallie_july_09.jpg

Edited by profc

You would have needed something over 19" to even have a chance.

The winner was 20 3/8". With a 17" fish you'd probably be around 100th place.

I didn't hear if the tagged fish was caught. It was a pretty obvious tag in the middle of the back.

If you're hungry for more competition, both Island lake in Orangeville and Valens conservation area have derbies on this weekend.

Edited by jediangler

I miss bass fishing on the grand, I found it to be quite good was there from about 2000-07. October and November were my favourite times...thats when the hawgs seemed to come out in the sections I fished. Still amazed at the size of fish that came out of there.

One still haunts me, ran like a salmon then jumped way downstream, 7ish maybe? It was a horse.

I avoided the derby weekend too. Never a fan of fishing with a crowd.

Good times

Endless, a half dozen years ago I caught a 19.5" smallie from the Grand in Kitchener and it weighed 3.3lbs on a digital scale. These are river fish and don't get the girth of smallies in Simcoe or lake Erie. I would say 4 to 4.25lbs for a 20" Grand river fish max. At least up in this section. I'm sure the closer you get to lake Erie the heavier they will weigh per inch of length.