conservation areas north of the gta

castgame

what are your favourite CAs around the city? we tried terra cotta last night and saw some decent largemouth in wolf lake (more like a weed-choked pond!), but couldn't get into any of the trout that are supposed to be in muskrat pond. there are a ton of conservation areas... some have to have excellent fishing...

Depends on what you are after, but on occassion I like taking my 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter to Glenn Haffey on Airport Rd just south of Highway 9. They have 2 ponds stocked with Rainbow Trout.

Some consider it expensive but when you consider any other type of outing, it really isn't that bad.

We make a day out of it for the whole family and also have a picnic, etc..

If you do go there, use very small worms (the ones you dig up - not dew worms) on a salmon egg hook under a bobber. Otherwise, a small number 1 or 2 Mepps spinner (I like silver) works great too. I usually set my son up with the worm while I use the spinner.

You are allowed to keep 2 trout each. They're only about 1-2 pounds but are great eating. Although I have seen trout up to 5 pounds stocked on occassion.

And get there when it opens, as I found we have the best success being the first ones fishing but you should be able to catch fish throughout the day.

Edited by fisher

Tottenham Conservation Area, my home town has some great bass in it some over the 5lbs range, also lots of perch ans sun fish to be had with the odd trout

check it out its not fished very much so the fish are not picky and you can camp there to boot!

thanks guys! i was looking at glen haffey--it's got rainbows, eh? good to know. do you know if they're fed or not? i really dislike the taste of pellet-fed fish. much prefer them to be taking insects and minnows and the like.

thanks for the heads up about tottenham too. sounds like it's worth a look!

anybody know anything about the ken whillans resource management area out orangeville-way? sounds like it might have a little less pressure and a little better fishing...