Lakair 2009

We'll after waiting a year, our annual OFC Lakair GTG has come and gone. Wait for so long and in the blink of an eye, its just a memory .. but a good one. This was my third GTG and Patsy's second. As usual lots of good times, good friends, some evening camp fires, fish fry, sharing stories, fishing, and so much more. Patsy really had a great time this year - so much more so than last year. The excitement and enthusiasm is still high, so I hope she can sustain that until next year. We're even talking about extending it a bit - longer than a single week. That - I can handle.

Fishing-wise, I was in search of another musky, hoping to beat my current PB of 43. But, such was not to be this year. I did have a huge ski follow a bucktail into the boat. Quick into figure 8 and she just mosied on by. Kept it going and a few seconds later, she came back around. Just not interested at all and never to return again. I think that would have greatly bested my 43. I think we were fishing in the same general area. Heard a lot of splashing around their boat on one occassion, so maybe it was her. I wonder if this was the same fish that Cliff/Carol hooked up with as they mentioned a huge musky in their report. Dang shame it spit the hooks, I would have loved to see a pic of that girl.

We only caught pike during our quest and I even managed to catch a pike during the pike derby - after being totally skunked my first two years. Here's a couple, including the silver pike caught during the derby. Most we in the high teens or low twenties, so no sense in taking a pic of all of them.

gallery_296_59_3425.jpg

gallery_296_59_55115.jpg

gallery_296_59_66337.jpg

Just some of the hopefulls getting ready for the pike derby,

gallery_296_59_44062.jpg

Annual fish fry. Lots of friends and stories.

gallery_296_59_104925.jpg

gallery_296_59_5588.jpg

gallery_296_59_65402.jpg

gallery_296_59_66143.jpg

During the day, out in the bays, we pull up onto an island the let the 4-legged girls do their business and burn off some steam. They really enjoy stretching their legs, running around, and sniffing everything in site.

Along the north shore, before Merganzer Bay, we pulled up on one of the islands and there were quite a few Inukshuk built and scattered along the shore lines. There was a rock on the Western side that had the word Muskie scratched into it. Never seen so many in a single area.

gallery_296_59_68027.jpg

gallery_296_59_39765.jpg

A boat load of girls:

gallery_296_59_82765.jpg

Couple scenery shots. I think this says it all and why we love the area so much.

gallery_296_59_77055.jpg

gallery_296_59_37183.jpg

We really look forward to this GTG and anxiously awaiting next year already.

Was great to see all our old friends again and even met a few new OFC'rs this year.

Until next year ... good fishing ya all.

Edited by Rich Clemens

"anxiously awaiting next year already"

I feel the same, such a great place with so many good people. Cliff and I were in the same area, the splashing you saw was the musky that we landed. The larger fish hit after you two had left, could have been the same that you saw. Hope to see you, Patsy and the girls again next year :)

Awesome report Rich. Glad to have spent some time with you and Patsy. Sorry we missed you when you left but we were on the hunt ;) Looking forward to seeing you next year.

Great pictures and cool silver pike :thumbsup_anim:

Joey