Help me catch Charlie!!!

nancur373

You also may want to try some live bait, only leave whatever it is naturally bouyant. No weight on the presentation. The weight of the crawler, or leech, or crawdad should be enough to cast if your line is light enough. Something about it falling naturally in the water toward the bottom just gives the fish goosebumps sometimes lol

At the risk of offending some of the previous posters, I'd say to try to catch it without resorting to live bait to make it more of an accomplishment. I think it can be caught, but those bigger fish are opportunity feeders and they do not eat every day, you'll probably have to trigger it. If you catch it at the right time with the right presentation, you can trigger a strike I bet. A fish big enough to comfortably fit most of a 1.25 lber (12-13" fish) inside its mouth is probably pushing 7 lbs. A veritable giant.

Maybe try longer casts and baits the little ones are not going to be able to eat like a 12-16 inch worm.

I also like the night fishing person's suggestion. I think maybe some of these giant fish eat only at night which is why they are caught less frequently. The ones that eat all day every day usually end up in a pan of hot grease or oil.

My buddy had a pond in Lakefield when we were kids and ""WALTER" was the resident bully bass in his pond. They caught all the smaller ones but Walter would only look, not bite. I came up for a weekend and threw everything I had...but no live bait. There is always a greater chance of a gut hook with live bait so I didn't want that. I crept up on my belly on the sunday morning and watched him for a couple hours. There were lots of minnows in the pond but Walter was eating terrestrials....I collectled up grass hoppers and got up wind and threw them in the water. Walter loved to eat them....I had my fly rod with me but no flys that looked like a grass hopper. I did have a popper (old canadian tire poppers) that was painted like a bumble bee.......I tied it on a stood way back and launched a blind cast with the wind....slowly crept up and just as my eyes focussed on the bug, SLURP!! Walter was on.......That was over 20 years ago and we still talk about that weekend to this day evertime we see each other.

If it's a pond in a field, I will bet they are eating lots of bugs....try fly fishing for them.

RR

They only get excited when another bass is in distress. Only other thing that they showed a lillte bit of interest in was musky lures but nothing close to a bite.

i'd say get a small-ish musky lure in a bass pattern... maybe in an 8 or 9 inch size... mimick a distressed bass... a jerkbait maybe???