Help me catch Charlie!!!

nancur373

Both Saturday and Yesterday my friend and I went fishing in a little bass pond. Lots of 1 - 2 lbers. But there are three huge hawgs cruising. The biggest being Charlie...lol. Threw everything in the tacklebox at these 3 for two days without any luck. Jigs, senkos, swimbaits, frogs poppers, spinnerbaits, spinners, spoons, cranks, jerks, bucktails, etc. only thing left i can think of is minnows. Untill...my buddy was fighting a smaller bass Charlie came up and just inhaled the guy. Only the tail left sticking out. I was like 'Holy cow' He's not an experienced bass fisher so I told him to let Charlie take it on the freespool for a bit then try to set the hook. On a 7' medium heavy spinniing rod with a decent reel it just pulled the maxed out drag. Couldn't get it to turn then he spit out the other bass. We pulled the other guy in and realized it was not a tiny guy at all. He weighed in at 1lb 14oz on the digital scale. So what size is Charlie?!!!!!. Anyhoo, later in the day both other big two did the same thing with tiny guys. They only get excited when another bass is in distress. Only other thing that they showed a lillte bit of interest in was musky lures but nothing close to a bite. Any one got any ideas of a rig or bait to entice these guys to bite? Any help would be appreciated. You can pm me if you don't want it on here.

p.s. If you give me one that works there will be an invitation to come fishing in it for you...lol

Thanks,

Curt

Edited by nancur373

go back to basics, try float fishing with a big fat juicy night crawler....

ofcourse your prolly gona have to cast infront of the cruising bass cause the smaller ones will definatly get to the worm before the big ones do. good luck!

Stalk the fish. Figure out her patterns (it's almost certainly a she), and approach her range stealthily. Try moving in, exploring the area with a couple baits, and then backing out. Don't let her know you're there. Don't assume she's not there just because you can't see her; if you can't, it might be because she's in ambush looking to feed. Try again at multiple point in the day over multiple days. Certainly, big baits can work, but sometimes it just takes a careful natural presentation at the right time.

If they like the bass so much how bout something like this? My wife would kill me if I spent that kinda money on a lure but... hey who knows!!!

good luck to you!!

http://www.shoptimusprime.com/sites/4/imag...epa3asepe8y.jpg

http://www.castaicswimbait.com/Rock-Hard-Baby-Bass/8/

Edited by bullybass

Hit the pet shop. Get some mice. Have fun. :lol: Kidding...of course. The dusk idea sounds about right...we'd love to see a pic if you ever nail..er...catch Charlie :)

Edited by johnnyb

Throw him something he may never have seen before, like a beaver bait (creature bait). Or try a different technique like shaky head fishing. Get a good shaky head jig and a 5-7 incvh shaky head or finess worm and give it a go.

Seeing as this bass is trying to eat a 1+pound bass I might go with bullybass' suggestion and throw a big swimbait. Buy a storm 10" kickin minnow and throw that. They have great action and only cost about 7 bucks.

If she keeps chomping down on smaller bass its pretty obvious...you need to do like a fly fisherman and match the hatch the best you can...

largemouthbass.jpg

Or if there's any bluegill in the pond then I'm sure she'd kill one of these too...

Ultimatemale-bluegill.jpg

If she keeps chomping down on smaller bass its pretty obvious...you need to do like a fly fisherman and match the hatch the best you can...

largemouthbass.jpg

Or if there's any bluegill in the pond then I'm sure she'd kill one of these too...

Ultimatemale-bluegill.jpg

Those are some serious looking swimbaits?! Who are they by? Where can I get some? :D

The only thing that is going to work is a large minnow. I had the same dilemna at a local gravel pit. Two big bruisers and a whole lot of little ones swimming around. Threw everything in the box at the big ones and they wouldn't even look at it. I think the water is too clear, and they can see every detail of what you throw in there. I caught a 8 inch baby bass and the same thing happened. The big one went nuts and inhaled the smaller one. Eureka! the light bulb went on. Went to a a local creek, caught some big chub and threw one of them in and the battle was on. She was 5 lbs 2oz! I named her Big Momma and have caught her every year for the past 3 years to see how big she gets each year.

PB

I would go with the live frog idea....They are usually easy to find and catch on location....

Many gravel pits around London have stocked bass in them as well and they seem to love live bait....I personally go after them with a fly rod patterning the food they eat....Mice,frogs,dragon flies,small snakes ect.....Gosslings and birds are a little harder to tie so I don't bother with those patterns :lol: