Honda Electric tiller(Pull cord)?

Mr Twister

My 40hp evinrude has a groove, but good luck turning that flywheel. I bought a rope for it, and it snapped on the first pull. When I found a rope that didn't snap, it just would not turn it fast enough to get the motor to start. I would love to see someone demonstrate how this is done.

I have a Honda 25hp 4 stroke tiller and wanted to find out if I have no batterie power and what to do to rig up a pull cord as the fly wheel seems to not have a grove to tie a cord around it?

Please help!!

Thanks; )

I would think that there'd be a pull cord inside the cowl...usually affixed the the upper portion (inside) of the cowl.

I had the experience in pulling my friends 70 johnson as it was extreamly easy and thought I could do it with my Honda as the batterie was dead this past weekend and the was none to tie around the fly wheel?

I will check under the cowling??

Thanks Guys; )

Ah, the owners manual, such a plethora of info when all else fails. And then there's the tool kit that comes with the motor, a little grey pouch with a couple wrenches, screwdrivers, plug wrench and oh ya, that long thing that looks like overgrown spagetti with a wooden handle and little plastic clip that attaches to the flywheel..called a pull cord. Instructions should be on the flywheel cover. ;)

Bring your boat to a marine mechanic, and just ask what he thinks. He shouldn't charge you to give you advice on what is best to do. Just a thought. Or even try calling around. :dunno:

I did this with my motor, and he sold me a rope that was "specific" to my motor, and on the first couple pulls I snapped the rope. After that I gave up....lol.

Is there a problem with the motor? If your breaking starting ropes there may be, just a thought, as I have had to pull start my '05, 25 HP Johnson (dead battery) a few times and it was an easy pull. I don't think there would be much difference regardless of the name on the motor cover.

A Johnson comes with a rope and a wooden handle and yes there is a groove in the flywheel for the rope.

Bring your boat to a marine mechanic, and just ask what he thinks. He shouldn't charge you to give you advice on what is best to do. Just a thought. Or even try calling around. :dunno:

I did this with my motor, and he sold me a rope that was "specific" to my motor, and on the first couple pulls I snapped the rope. After that I gave up....lol.

What... take it to a marine mechanic for advice. :rolleyes: Hate to see what happens if your zipper gets stuck. Read the manual, you can get it on line.

For the manual go here, scroll down and read page 42. http://www.honda-marine.com/mar_pdf/31ZV7610.pdf

Edited by Fisherman